Assignee problems when moving issues between projects

K May 23, 2013

We have a tiered project system in which issues are moved into different projects as they are escalated. We are using Jira 5.2.11 currently, but since we converted direclty from 4.3.3 to 5.2.7, we have been experiencing inconsistent issues on the assignee when moving an issue. All our projects are set up to default to "Unassigned", however when we move an issue to another project, we are not offered the "Unassigned" option, but sometimes just a "-1" .

Another issue, that I cannot tell if it is related is that sometimes when a person moves an issue their name will stay as the assignee (even though the rule is to default back to unassigned in the new project). This is especially confusing as they do not have permission to be an assignable user in the new project! The most recent case of this did not show up in a filter after the assignee was reassigned to default, even though the ticket met all critieria (just project, unassigned, and not closed).

The logs are not indicating any issues when specifically searching for the task id in question.

Any ideas?

3 answers

0 votes
T. Frank July 24, 2013

"This is especially confusing as they do not have permission to be an assignable user in the new project!":

Using 5.1.8 and 5.2.11, I wonder what is the (near future) status of Move Issue?:

Currently, we're very unhappy with the Assignee-Drop-Box showing suggested users including non assignable users! And btw, a default select of "-1" instead of (Automatic).

So far we're using the "disable new assignee picker" workaround described in JRA-27396 which at least provides back to "Automatic" default and showing (for us) less unassignable users, but I agree, it is a workaround.

As I would describe showing "Non-Assignees" in a assignee select to be major (as it was with JRA-4643), I wonder if there is a current ticket / solution for this (I did not find)?

0 votes
K May 27, 2013

"Allow Unassigned Issues" is turned on globally and we do not have a user called "unassigned". We are using the default Jira workflow for all the projects where we are seeing this issue, so I am unable to edit the transactions for the create issues. I am not seeing any activity in the log that indicates a bug for the events associated with the few example issues we have identified either.

0 votes
Yilin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 26, 2013

May I ask wheter you're using the option "Allow unassigned issue" or an real user called "Unassigned"? Also, this could be related to the post function run in the create issue transaction, maybe you can check whether it force to assign to a specific user?

But indeed, this is something related to the usage, still you're most welcome to open a support ticket if you're not able to sort it out. :)

Suggest an answer