Assignee field's Required/Optional setting is available in some projects but not in others. How do I make it available in all projects?

Randall Robertson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 20, 2013

I am trying to build an issue collector for a specific project but the Assignee field is not visible to anonymous users and is required on this project. Problem: I cannot make Assignee optional because the setting is not available for that field in this project's configuration. "Allow unassigned issues" is ON in general settings. I have some projects where Assignee is optional and at least one where it is not. The setting is available in those other projects. Why would the setting be available in some projects but not in all projects?

The project that does not show the setting was created on an earlier version of JIRA (3.5, probably). The ones that show the optional setting were created either on 4.x or 5.1. Currently running on 5.1.

6 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Randall Robertson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 7, 2013

Confirmed that this simple work-around resolved our problem.

From Atlassian Support:

I have an update from the senior engineer. He wasn't abel to ascertain exactly what was causing the issue but he did discover a workaround. If you set the field to hide and then show this removes the 'required' aspect of the field. This seems to be a bizarre anomaly but this workaround should then allow you to add an issue collector. Let me know if this works or causes any issues. We've tested here and so far that looks viable.

Cheers,
Osman Afridi [Atlassian]
Atlassian Support - San Francisco

Sorin Sbarnea (Citrix)
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 30, 2014

I confirm the same bug in latest 5.x, can we fix it? please.

Andy Airey January 22, 2016

This does not seem to work anymore :/

Ariel_Perez August 8, 2018

*test*

0 votes
Bhupesh Nagda January 27, 2014

Hi,

Even I did not see Required option for Assignee field and then modified the workflows and added a Validator making assignee field mandatory.

Rgds,

Bhupesh

0 votes
Nick Jones September 4, 2013

Did you manage to solve this? I've exactly the same issue, as I'm trying to use the issue collector. Stumped, and frustrated, too!

Randall Robertson
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 4, 2013
Working through it with Atlassian support. They don't know what the cause is either. They are going to rebuild my system in a test environment using an anonymized XML dump I am sending them. Only theory at this point is p some problem with system upgrades we have done. If you want to submit a support request, you can mention JSP-170138 for reference.
Randall Robertson
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 19, 2013

Due to other delays here at work, I only got the xml dump to Atlassian today. So, they are working on checking my system in depth now...

M Amine
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 31, 2018

Hi @Randall Robertson,

did you managed to solve the issue?

any feedback will be welcome.

thank you

0 votes
Randall Robertson
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 16, 2013

Now I have no configurations where Assignee has an Optional/Required setting. Sent Atlassian a service request. We will see what they can tell me.

0 votes
Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 26, 2013

Hi Randal,

As I know there was no ability to make assignee field required from the field configuration scheme. If you have "Allow Unassigned Issues" set to ON then the only way to make assigne field mandatory is to via third party plugin or some kind of customization (eg. JavaScript modifications)..

Do you have any plugins like JIRA Suite Utilities or using any other that are adding Conditions in the workflow that could make this field mandatory (for example when creating a ticket)? Are you aware about any changes to the JS code or maybe are you using some hidden custom fields that have a harcoded code?

BTW. Could you also check if you have a red star "*" next to the name of the field?

Best Regards,

Mirek

Randall Robertson
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 6, 2013
Thanks for asking. There is a red star next to the name of the field in the project where Assignee is required. The workflow on that project does not require an assignee be set - we can have an issue set as Unassigned all the way through the process. I don't understand how that can be the case and yet the field is marked as required... I'm trying to set up an issue collector and cannot do so for this project because it complains that the field is required but not visible to anonymous users. For projects where the field is not required, I don't have that problem.
0 votes
Bhushan Nagaraj
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 20, 2013

Hi Randall,

In your project where assignee is required, go to the project's field configuration and check if Assignee is set as a required field.

Read

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Specifying+Field+Behaviour#SpecifyingFieldBehaviour-Makingafieldrequiredoroptional

Cheers

Bhushan

Randall Robertson
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 20, 2013
I neglected to mention that the Required/Optional setting is unavailable for the Assignee field in the project where Assignee is required. It is available in the other project, though. That is why I am stumped.

Suggest an answer