Assignee drop down picker Jira error

Kevin Seery August 1, 2016

Hi,

When any users on JIRA (server) including admin, try to use the assignee picker error displayed. Can click on assignee me this works and typing in a name works?

Error

The JIRA Server was contacted but has returned an error response. We are unsure of the result of this operation. 

More detail:

An error occurredHide… 

Please try refreshing the page, or contact your administrator / Atlassian Support if the problem continues.

Environment

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/51.0.2704.106 Safari/537.36

Stack trace

2 answers

0 votes
Andrew Reeves-Hall November 2, 2016

We needed to change the usernames of all users to match with other system logins.

After doing so, and reindexing the database, we had this error appear whenever trying to select a person to assign an issue to (clicking the down arrow at the right of the field).

We went to the addons configuration screen and turned on safe mode (disabling user addons) - this did not solve the issue.

Any suggestions for what else to try?

0 votes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 1, 2016

Hey Kevin!

Hilariously, I ran into this exact issue on one of my instances today.

What it turned out to be was the name in the Assignee field was not the actual user object; instead it was some value that this pluginhad inserted into the field without validation.  The fix for us was to clear the field manually, (you can probably use a post function to do this), then try and figure out why the plugin was inserting bad data in the field.  Haven't figured out that part yet.

Good luck!

Suggest an answer