State:

Current Default Project Assignee - X

Issue assignee - Y

Scenario:

Create an issue and assign it to Y.

Change the issue status from open to in progress

The issue assignee changes from Y to X.

Question:

How do I make the issue not change the assignee on a status change.

Also if I wish to configure it that way, how do I control it?

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Remigiusz Jackowski
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 30, 2013

Just as Dave Theodore says, it's probably workflow scheme's fault.

Unless you are using JIRA 6.1, where starting progress on issue, reassigns it to you. In your example, if you are logged in as user X, issue will get assigned to you (user X). If you are logged in as user Z, issue will get assigned to you (user Z).

https://developer.atlassian.com/display/JIRADEV/Preparing+for+JIRA+6.1#PreparingforJIRA6.1-defaultworkflowNewdefaultJIRAworkflow

Amey Patil July 30, 2013

Marking as your answer as the solution as you pointed the "phenomenon" out.

Amey Patil July 30, 2013

Actually I am using v6.0.5, but its exactly what you are syaing is happening.

Amey Patil July 30, 2013

O yes! You are right. JIra perceives the "curren user" as the logged in user and does not consider the currently assigned user as the "current user". Makes sense

1 vote
Dave Theodore [Coyote Creek Consulting]
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 30, 2013

Sounds like you have a workflow post function that is doing automatic assignment. Check the workflow that is used on that issue type and project and look at the transition from Open to In Progress.

Amey Patil July 30, 2013

That seems strange, as I have not many changes in that section.

Eitherways, I looked at what you spoke about -

and see this post action - "Assign the issue to the current user. Please note that the issue will only be assigned to the current user if the current user has the 'Assignable User' permission."

Which lead me to check who is my Assignable User and I went here -https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/139257/assignable-users-how-do-i-set-that-permission-so-that-users-can-share-my-bonfire-test-sessions

I performed steps listed there as well (by adding all users to the assignable user list), but no dice.

Any suggestions?

Amey Patil July 30, 2013

aahh okay.. So I think i know what is happening and correct me if i am wrong.

I have logged in as X (the administrator), and im updating an issue assigned to Y. Jira considers the logged in user as the current user and not the one actually assigned to it. So it changes to X, each time X changes the status

Suggest an answer