Assign permissions for a specific project only

Jonas HAOUZI July 22, 2015

Good morning.

In my instance of JIRA, I created a new project and a new user.

I'm trying to give to this user an access to this project and ONLY this project, not to the others we have, but I can't achieve it.

Could you explain me the steps to follow?

Thanks.Jonas

3 answers

4 votes
Paula Silveira
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 22, 2015

Hi Jonas, 

You can do the following:

Create a Permission Scheme

1. Log in as a user with the 'JIRA Administrators'global permission.

2. Click on the cowheel (on the top right) >Issues. Select Permission Schemes to open the Permission Schemes page, which displays a list of all permission schemes in your JIRA system and the projects that use each scheme.

3. Click the 'Add Permission Scheme' link. 

4. In the 'Add Permission Scheme' form, enter a name for the scheme, and a short description of the scheme. Click the 'Add' button.

Screenshot: The 'Add Permission Scheme' form

5. You will return to the 'Permission Schemes' page which now contains the newly added scheme.

Add Users, Groups or Roles to the permission scheme you created

1. Log in as a user with the 'JIRA Administrators'global permission.

2. Click on the cowheel (on the top right) >Issues. Select Permission Schemes to open the Permission Schemes page, which displays a list of all permission schemes in your JIRA system and the projects that use each scheme.

3. Locate the permission scheme you created and click its name (or click the 'Permissions' link in the 'Operations' column) to show a list of permissions.

Screenshot: Project Permissions 

4. Click the 'Add' link in the 'Operations' column, which displays the 'Add Permission' page.

5. After selecting one or more permissions to add and who to add the selected permissions to, click the 'Add' button. The users/groups/roles will now be added to the selected permissions. Note that project roles are useful for defining specific team members for each project. Referencing project roles (rather than users or groups) in your permissions can help you minimise the number of permission schemes in your system.

Screenshot: Add Users To Permissions 

6. Repeat the last 2 steps until all required users/groups/roles have been added to the permissions.

Associate a Permission Scheme with a Project

1. Log in as a user with the JIRA Administratorsglobal permission.

2. Click on the cowheel (on the top right) >Projects.

3. Select the project of interest to open the Project Summary administration page for that project. See Defining a Project for more information.

4. On the lower right, in the Permissions section, click the name of the current scheme (e.g. 'Default Permission Scheme') to display the details of the project's current permission scheme.

5. Click the 'Actions' dropdown menu and choose 'Use a different scheme'.

6. On the 'Associate Permission Scheme to Project' page, which lists all available permission schemes, select the permission scheme you want to associate with the project.

7. Click the 'Associate' button to associate the project with the permission scheme.

Thanks and regards,
Paula Silveira

0 votes
Thiago Zandona
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 22, 2015

Hi Jonas,

I could just copy and paste, but this wouldn't be fair. See on page below Michael answer to this very same question. The trick here is to work with Permission Scheme:

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/113085/how-to-give-access-to-just-one-project

Following these steps you will be able to achieve it.

Cheers

0 votes
Pedro Cora
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 22, 2015

Hi Jonas,

To achieve that, you will need to configure the Permission Scheme associated with this project and also make sure the user is only present in groups and roles that will restrict his permissions.

For more details, take a look at our documentation on https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Managing+Project+Permissions

wink 

-- Pedro

Suggest an answer