Assign issue to group in jira

Aditya kumar Madhira January 7, 2014

Hi I want to asign issue to group instead of user by default.

Post function is helping me to assign different user but not group. Pleas help me

10 answers

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

2 votes
Aditya kumar Madhira January 9, 2014

Hi I tried this but not working

1. created a custom field group assignee

2. add notification scheme to change assignee but not working.

means not changing assignee

Managing Issues via Group Ownership

You can add a custom field to store which users and groups should be associated with a given issue. This is particularly useful for projects where a team owns all issues of a particular type.

To do this, set up the following:

1. Add a group picker custom field to your issues.
  2. Configure an email notification in your project's notification scheme to be sent to the 'Group Custom Field Value'.

An issue can now be "assigned" to the group by selecting the appropriate group in the group picker. An email notification will be sent to the group.

This seems to be our solution. Can you test it and let me know.
2 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 7, 2014

You can't do it. Jira expects assignees to be a single user account. There was a feature request for this, but Atlassian have closed it with "will not fix".

See https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/How+do+I+assign+issues+to+multiple+usersfor workarounds

Paulie Rainbow January 7, 2014

That link is very helpful. But I can see why they expect a single assignee, it keeps issues from being ignored/overlooked. The Queue or "pool" option in the link you posted is a nice alternative to "unassigned." But it would also work to link it to a project or a release and leave it unassigned.

Peter Milakovich
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 9, 2014
I looked at the link, and we actually use the "Managing Issues via a User Account" option, and it works very well for us. Many groups use their group e-mail as the user e-mail address, and the groups that didn't want to receive all the notifies and just work out of filters used a bogus e-mail address. We've been doing this for about 8 months now without any issues.
0 votes
Kristen Davis February 13, 2018

Hi! If you assign an issue to a group, shouldn't the issue appear in each respective user's open issues and on the assigned issues gadget?

Thanks!

Kristen

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 13, 2018

You can't assign an issue to a group.

Oh, I thought you could using the Group Assigned custom field?

What is the purpose of that field?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 13, 2018

It's probably been added to your Jira by an admin to support the idea of "there is a group also responsible here as well as the assignee"

0 votes
AJ Magcale May 15, 2017

this has worked for me. i would not like to setup notifications for when the custom field group/team is change. 

0 votes
Yasmine Rifai January 21, 2014

One more question related , how can I restrict the group I added , as assigned to this issue to be only seeing this issue?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 22, 2014

I'm not sure I understand the question, so I apologise if this seems like completely the wrong answer...

You need to start from the position that no-one can see any issues in Jira by default. Then you can set up rules that say "allow person to see project if..." and use things like "if they are in role X in the project" or "they are in group Y"

This still won't get you to "group can only see their assigned issues" though, it just stops them from seeing other stuff. The next step is to ensure all the groups have "browse" permission on all the projects they will be working in. This actually opens up the whole project to them, which is still not what you need.

So, the last step is to enable "issue security" and set security levels on the issues that match their group-assignee groupings. This will hide issues in the project unless the user matches the rule.

See https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Configuring+Issue-level+Security

0 votes
Okay, just wanted to make sure of that. Thank you.
0 votes

For me , I need to assign an issue for a group, I added a new custom field "Group picker , multiple groups" but it shows as a new field when I create an issue not in Assignee field, still can't add group to the field assignee

I can only select a user , not a group

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 21, 2014

It's not explicit here at a glance, so I'll say it clearly:

You can NOT use a group in the assignee field.

End of story, there's no workarounds, hacks, tweaks. The assignee is a *single* *user*. Nothing else.

The usual workaround is exactly what you've done - have a "group assignee" field. But this is totally separate from the assignee field.

Deleted user July 18, 2016

A workaround may be following for small teams . You can use the Mention Function.

In the issue you can mention your team members by @[name] 

If you have a dashboard for your team members you can create a special issue filter/ filter box for issues where the member of the team are mention. With this solution it is possible that team issues or issues for the whole business members are available in the dashboard. It is a first step for the problem.

For team over 100 members is this solution very difficult.

BTW: Sorry for my bad English.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 18, 2016

Mentions are very helpful in getting people involved.  But remember that the idea of multiple assignees does not work.

Mohammed Khadir January 19, 2017

I think one thing you can do is use a Service account and a custom group email on the service account. So when the sa is chosen as assignee, it can still email all the users.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 19, 2017

Yes, that's the "dummy user account" approach - the weakness is that it's easy to forget when no-one is the assignee.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 9, 2014

Ok, so you're using a field as a way to keep a group informed about an issue.

That has nothing to do with the assignee field, so I'm not sure what the question is, or what is not working here?

0 votes
Aditya kumar Madhira January 9, 2014

yes. Notification will send notification itself to intimate users about issue.

From the url - https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/How+do+I+assign+issues+to+multiple+users

1. I create groupasignee custom field in create issue screen.

2. next i create notification screen which is sending notification to users about issue.

Mean there is no way to change assignee right?

Only users must pick unassign issues to specific user after receiving an email ?

Thanks

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 9, 2014

I don't understand what is not working. You say:

>1. created a custom field group assignee

>2. add notification scheme to change assignee but not working.

>means not changing assignee

(Then you've pasted a chunk of the document I pointed you to, but I've no idea why)

Point 1 is fine, but point 2 and 3 make no sense. Notification schemes are about emailing users about changes, not changing assignee, and point 3 implies that you've not understood the document at all - it's some ways of representing that an issue belongs to a group as well as the individual assignee, NOT a way to change assignee.

Could you explain what you mean by "not working"?

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question