Assign an issue to the right board before creating it?

Saso Volcjak June 12, 2015

Hello,

is there an option to quickly assign an issue (story, bug, subtask) to the right board, before you create it? We have multiple boards on one project. Everytime I create an issue, I have to click on the link to open an issue and using Workflow button I assign the issue to the right board. If I’m not fast enough to open the link of an issue I created, then first I have to go to my dashboard to view Activity stream and search for last issue I created and open it and then assign it to the right board. It would be easier if I would have this option when I’m creating an issue.

Thanks.

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 12, 2015

Boards do not contain issues, they are views of issues.  To get an issue to appear on a board, you just need to make it match the board filter.

Have a look at the board filters to work out what you're leaving out of the issue when you create it that makes it appear on the board.

Although, note that it sounds like your board definitions are wrong - they don't include the first status of the issue in the workflow, so it might be better to correct the board definition...

Hi Nic, thanks for your answer.

I think that board filters are correct. I have 3 boards in the same project. One is for Support, one for Developers, one for Bug Kills.  When I create an issue it is by default automatically assigned to Support board, because at first all the issues go there. If I want immediately assign it to Developers board, I have to find it, open it and then assign it in to Devs board. It would be much easier if I could already assign it to Devs board when I’m creating it, just like labels.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 12, 2015

I don't think you've understood what I've said. You do not "assign an issue to a board". That's totally the wrong way to think of it. You do things to an issue which change attributes that make a board include or ignore it. An issue appears on a board when the filter for that board includes it AND the current status of the issue is in a column in the board definition. Your process of "I want to immediately assign it to the developer's board" is not right. I suspect what you are doing is transitioning it into another status. And your "developer's board" is configured incorrectly because it does not include the initial status, OR it's got a filter that excludes the initial status. Is that a correct guess at what you actually mean?

Thanks for trying. Maybe it’s my vocabulary :) I agree with you, I don’t assign an issue to a board, but I’m changing the status of an issue. I have different statuses in each board, basically To Do, In Progress and Done. Still, when I create an Issue, I have limited visibility so it doesn’t appear in all boards, but it somehow appears in Support - To do first. Then I change the status to Dev - To do. And it is ok that way, because I don’t want all the issues which have status Support - To do, to be visible in Dev - To do, because they must be defined first before I change the status. Also, Support is Kanban board, and Development is Scrum board. But sometimes it happens issue I create is already defined and we all know what to do, so this is why I would love to set the status to Dev - To do immediately when I create an issue.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 12, 2015

It's fine, it's normal for a subject to develop its own jargon and use of language, and when you are not familiar with it, it can be hard to understand what is going on. I think (hope!) I understand what you have got set up now. The problem you have is that when you create an issue, there is only one *status* it can land in. But you want to try to land an issue in a different status, but only sometimes. I would start by defining *how* you tell JIRA that "this needs to be created with a different status". Is there a field you can set? Apply a specific label like "not_support"?

Suggest an answer