Assign Issue To Me permission for projects where assignment is really a commitment made by the team member

Stuart Donovan March 9, 2012

Currently if a user has the "Assign Issues" permission they are able to assign any ticket to ANY USER with "Assignable User" permission.

Can JIRA be configured to support a team where team members can assign tickets to only themselves?

There is a 7+ year old feature request for something similar - JRA-4073 I am not putting in another feature request if I have to wait that long for action.....!

Thanks for your time!

Stuart

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 9, 2012

You can remove the permissions for 'Assign User' for everyone in the permission scheme. This will get rid of the 'Assign' button in the issues.

And in the workflow related to your issue-type add an additional transistion (in all the statuses in which you expect people to self assign) which has a post condition which says 'Assign to the Current User'

Stuart Donovan March 10, 2012

Thanks Renjith - this works fine.

Rade Martinović March 28, 2013

This not quite what I need. I don't like introducing two Open states (Open Unassigned and Open Assigned) in my workflow.

Can I have team leader assign issues to team members, but also have team members assigne issues only to themselves?

Dave C
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 1, 2015

This can also be controlled by permissions by setting a condition on the workflow transition, for example 'User is in Project Role' as per https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Advanced+workflow+configuration#Advancedworkflowconfiguration-addingaconditionAddingacondition

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 28, 2013

If people are assigning issues to others and they aren't supposed to I see it as a training and management issue. give someone a day off without pay for the second offense and it will stop. In general you'll drive yourself crazy trying to implement a software solution to all the things people can and will do wrong.

Rade Martinović March 28, 2013

Hm... that is true, but I would like not to resort to such harsh measures. I just wanted a solution within JIRA that would prevent such situations. But after you wrote this I guees that I could try to trust my team members that they will not abuse their "Assign" permission :)

Stuart Donovan March 28, 2013

I'll try this with our CEO .. wish me luck.

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 9, 2012

Have both Assign Issues and Assignable User permissions for all users. Then you can disable the assign-issue module in Issue Operations plugin under Administration > Plugins. That should then show only the 'Assign to me' operation.

Stuart Donovan March 9, 2012

Would this affect all projects in the system? If so, any way to do it just for one project?

Thanks!!

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 9, 2012

This will be system wide. If you want it for a specific project or issuetype, use the workaround Renjith suggested.

Suggest an answer