As member of Project Admin group, in GH I am unable to Complete or Create a sprint

Paul Alexander
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 1, 2013

I've just discovered that a user who resides in a Global user group that is assigned to the project administrators role is unable to complete a sprint, or create a sprint in Greenhopper (GH). I'm talking about the Rapid boards.

For example, I have a user, john doe, as a member of the group, SOLR Administrators. This group as you can see below is assigned as the project administrator. But, John Doe and all others in this group cannot access project admin functions on the GH board - the complete sprint and create sprint functionality is disabled for example. Why?

When John Doe is added as a project administrator as a user (the left column below), John has access to these admin functions.

Is this a bug in GH 6.x, or am I missing something, gang? The only reason I haven't noticed it till now is that I have been doing these two functions since we cutover to the new Rapid boards. I prefer to use Groups rather than named resources on the project's roles so I can quickly alter project administrators. I'm on an on-demand JIRA instance.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 1, 2013

I can't be sure it's this, but there's an important thing about the rapid boards and sprints.

Can you check that your admin users have admin rights on all the projects that the rapid board includes? Sprints and board config go across project, so you have to have admin rihgts on all the projects you might touch in order to be able to do it.

Paul Alexander
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 1, 2013

Wheeww, nice one, Nic. Gosh, I completely forgot about that. I did read the GH docs, too;). To recap, I had a board consuming three different projects, but John Doe was a project administrator for only two of them.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 1, 2013

Me too. I saw it in the docs when I first tried a beta of the rapid boards. I saw it happen the first time I tried a cross-project board for myself. I really should know by now, but I still miss it on a regular basis...

Paul Alexander
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 1, 2013

On a related note for others, don't confuse the Rapid Board's owner as having an effect on whether these project admin functions are enabled or disabled...the board's owner merely has rights to configure the board behind the scenes (GH only supports one board owner) - the product owner, which does make good sense.

Suggest an answer