As a project manager, how can I see properly filtered individual workloads in sprint backlog?

3DSauce Support February 13, 2018

I'm working with one teammate, and this is our first Jira project. We are using an agile workflow and we're about ready to start our first sprint, however we've ran into a problem.

We are using stories, along with subtasks. Certain stories are shared between us, as we both have subtasks within. We are placing our time estimates on subtasks. When we look at the backlog it shows the total remaining time estimate correctly.

The problem arises when when one of us selects "Only My Issues." The remaining time estimate will then show all of the estimates within all of the stories assigned to the current user, including subtask estimates that do not belong to this user.

We are then left having to guess how much of the total estimate is actually belonging to whom, leaving us with no way to know if we actually have an equal workload for this sprint or not.

Is there a way to filter the time estimates for assignees at the subtask level? Are we missing something obvious?

Ultimately we are looking for an efficient way to plan workloads for individual team members in relation to a sprint. Is there a better way to go about this?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

1 answer

0 votes
Troy Spetz June 4, 2018

We currently use JIRA 7.9 and perform estimates using Story Points (relative complexity).

For us, JIRA works best if the estimates are in the parent issue -- not at the sub-task level.

We use sub-tasks are to identify work which can be done in parallel, resulting in a completed parent issue.

So, we sum all of the parallel (sub-) tasks Story Points and place this total in the parent issue.

Suggest an answer