Argh! Who likes the new project admin screens in 4.4+ ?

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 26, 2011

It's sooo much more difficult to create a project now if you don't want the default schemes. What was just a few clicks is now dozens.

And why is it so difficult to change a workflow scheme? It took me literally several minutes of clicking around to work out you need to click on the scheme link, then click on the tiny pen icon. It looks the dog's bollocks but bloody hard to use quickly.

13 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 12, 2011

I didn't want to leave this question hanging... so, after using 4.4+ for a while, I really really like the admin navigation. It's a massive improvement once you realise it's there. Then it becomes automatic, and using previous versions is painful.

I still think it's a pain creating a project now, fortunately we have or are at least in the process of doing all that programatically.

0 votes
Eva
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 17, 2011

I have love/hate relationship with the new admin design myself. While the main admin page is now more organize, but the tiny + faded fonts at the bottom for workflow and such are harder to see for myself, much less for our support team people. I actually like how they finally get rid of the left hand menu (i like it, but it wasnt really organize to the way it supposed to be) and group them into the top menu drop down. Now getting to workflow isnt as confusing as it used to be (under general config? I think?).

The one thing I hate the most is that you can no longer create ticket when you are in admin mode. LIke I dont understand the purpose of that? Why must you have to switch back and forth b/w admin mode and user mode? what if you are an admin and you want to test few things of the new workflow? Before, you can plug the new workflow scheme and create tickets right then and there....now? You have to create a new tab for admin mode and another for user mode, so that right after you attach the workflow scheme, you switch tabs to create tickets...which is ridiculous? And whenever somethign doesnt work, you have to enter the admin mode again....very annoying.

Judging 4.4.1 and 4.4.2 isnt much difference, I dont have much hope on 4.4.3...

0 votes
Peter Drier October 12, 2011

I'm still annoyed by some actions. Editing the "components" for a project feel further away.

Versions, I still can't edit (or even SEE) the parent/child relationship from greenhopper's agile tab.

It's better overall, but still needs refinement..

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 12, 2011

Agreed. Have some points.

0 votes
Peter Drier October 12, 2011

I'm still annoyed by some actions. Editing the "components" for a project feel further away.

Versions, I still can't edit (or even SEE) the parent/child relationship from greenhopper's agile tab.

It's better overall, but still needs refinement..

0 votes
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 28, 2011

Works for me, although for quite a few screens the first form field infuriatingly grabs focus, and the GG goes there.

0 votes
Peter Drier September 27, 2011

I've tried G G everwhere to no avail. And keyboard shortcuts are enabled for my profile.. Chrome?

0 votes
Igor Sereda [ALM Works]
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 27, 2011

when I'm lost in the admin interface, I type G,G

0 votes
Peter Drier September 27, 2011

I agree. While it looks nicer, it's harder to get simple (often done) things done.

And it's harder (as admin) to tell if what I'm changing is for myself or everyone. (besides the system dashboard)

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 27, 2011

I thought so - I've not worked on a 3.x for nearly a year, but couldn't remember it being a huge change! I've found 4.4 a lot more fussy for admins, despite it being touted as an improvement. I can see why it could be said to be an improvement - more stuff in one place, quicker to get to what you're looking for and more easy for project admins to see what they've got. But yes, a lot more clicky for Jira admins.

0 votes
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 27, 2011

And yeah sorry I got my own question wrong, I meant 4.4. Up to 4.4 I could understand what was going on.

0 votes
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 27, 2011

No I'm not ready to inflict it yet on our support team...not until I can explain why everything's 5 times clickier.

0 votes
Radu Dumitriu
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 27, 2011

Lost? Me too. Where's North ?

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 27, 2011

You jumped to 4.4? They all changed again between 4.3 and 4.4

Suggest an answer