Aren't there preconfigured issue types and workflows for non-software-development type projects?

Borek Bernard January 18, 2012

I want to create a JIRA project for basic infrastructure tasks like "prepare a server", "enable SSL on this JIRA" etc. and the default issue types and workflow are an overkill (I don't need to distinguish between "bugs", "feature requests" etc., that does make sense only for software development projects).

I can certainly configure JIRA to work for simple projects but as I'm new to it, I'm not 100% sure how to do it and if I will be able to do it correctly. So my question is, are there some "project templates" I could use in my JIRA that would come with preconfigured issue types, workflows and screens for various popular scenarios? Or am I on my own?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Aspect Infra Team
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 19, 2012

AFAIK you on your own.

But its easy. you need to create

1) project

2) one issue type - "task"

3) one workflow - just simple "open/new" -> "ïn progress" - > "done"

4) create screens for issue create, view, edit.

Borek Bernard January 19, 2012

You're right that it's not a rocket science but it's slightly more complex than your answer suggest, e.g. you have to understand the concept of Schemes, if you want to have a workflow with Done state you have to create this state globally etc. I like the way GreenHopper approaches this - it comes with preconfigured project types and I think it would be great if there were "plugins" like "Simple TODO template", "Support team template" etc.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 19, 2012

I think the usefulness of this is quite limited. The range of templates you might want is so broad, and so few of them will fit with what people actually end up with, it's hard to know where to start or who will continue to use them.

Suggest an answer