Are you charged for users who have never logged in?

Emily Woodard August 10, 2016

I would like to set up some email dist groups as users so that when we @ mention them, all appropriate members of the organisation are notified (to save time from mentioning them individually and trying to remember all of the employees in your division globally!)

These 'users' will never log in therefore I wondered whether we are charged for users who never physically log into the cloud?

Thanks in advance!

2 answers

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 10, 2016

User ids in the jira-user group, or any other group with logon rights count toward the license count. I use 'fake' users that have a distribution email list for the email for a similar function.

Emily Woodard August 10, 2016

Thanks @Joe Pitt for the answer - do you have a process whereby these 'fake' users don't go towards the total licence count?

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 10, 2016

When you create them remove them from any group with logon rights. It that simple.

Emily Woodard August 14, 2016

@Joe Pitt apologies but I would like some more advice on this if possible please? I've got this all set up in JIRA and it works perfectly however I cannot @ mention these groups in Confluence - is there a way around this that you are aware of?

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 15, 2016

I can't be more explicit. Any user in any group with logon rights counts toward the license. Out of the boy that is jira-users and jira-admin. However the JIRA administrator, which I presume you are, can give that right to any group, which in my opinion is a bad idea.

Emily Woodard August 16, 2016

Sorry @Joe Pitt seems as if you may have misunderstood my secondary issue. I have resolved this now through re-indexing after speaking with Atlassian Support. 

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 10, 2016

It's not charged by user, it's by the maximum allowable number of users.  If you have a 25 user licence, you'll be charged for 25, no matter if you have 1, 5, 12 or 25 users active.

Suggest an answer