Are you able to cream a team and assign issues in JIRA?

Christina Tattory July 17, 2014

I want to create a team that issues can be assigned to and then an individual user pick them up as they can. is this possible in JIRA (JIRA Agile) or just in service desK?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 17, 2014

Jira has a very strong attitude that an issue has a single responsible person looking at it (Assign to group generally doesn't work well I've found - too much space for Alice to say "I assumed Bob had it" and Bob to say "I thought Alice had that one").

The usual method here is to have a group assignee field as well as assignee - create a select list for it (in fact, consider using a group-picker!)

Troy Johnson July 18, 2014

We do this all the time via a custom field called Team. We assign the team field to issues which allows us to make sure the issues make it to the appropriate backlogs and then when the team creates the sprint backlog they can then begin to assign issues to individual team members. However, all of this does depend on the creation of the custom field.

Christina Tattory July 18, 2014

Do you just add the custom field when your creating the ticket and leave the assignee blank?

You say "The usual method here is to have a group assignee field as well as assignee - create a select list for it (in fact, consider using a group-picker!)", where do I find that?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 18, 2014

You need to add a custom field first - as an admin, go to Admin -> Issues -> Custom fields and click add.

Once that's done, you'll have the "Team" type field as Troy says, then yes, you can get people to enter that at first, leaving the assignee blank until one of your team is going to work on it.

Fabulous. I got it working. Thanks.

Troy Johnson July 18, 2014

Thanks for the clarification Nic. That explains exactly what we have done.

Christina Tattory July 20, 2014

I created a Team (specifiy the name) and then I added it to the tickets. I then filtered on that Team to see tasks assigned to them before they reached an individial. I saved the filter to then show that on my dashboard so I can see what is in the queue.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 20, 2014

Yes, that's the easiest way to do "group assignee"

0 votes
Vidic Florjan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 20, 2014

It is also possible to create username with name of the group and relate "group e-mail"(if you can get such mail) to that username. So all members of the "group mail" can be notified.

You ca give this user access to log in jira or not, depends on what you want to achieve...

Suggest an answer