Are users created during issue import?

I am attempting to split our current JIRA Cloud instance by moving two projects into a new instance. I realize this means exporting all of the issues for all of the projects on the source instance, importing them into the target, and then deleting the ones I do not want.

My questions involve moving the user accounts to the new instance:

1. Will user accounts be created on the target instance? Specifically, when I go to <target>.atlassian.net/admin and look at the User Management option, will the users be there? The documentation leads me to believe the answer to this is no, but I do see the user accounts in the exported XML.
  2. If the answer to 1 is no, how do I create accounts in the new instance so that they will be linked to the existing users in the JIRA projects? I assume this is handled with the new Atlassian ID, so this may be a non-issue.
  3. If the answer to 1 is yes, will welcome emails be sent to all users? That's something that we don't want to happen as only a subset of the users from the source instance will need to be created.

2 answers

0 votes

I would expect the users to be created, and I don't think that welcome emails would be sent to each user.

You could test this by unzipping the exported XML file, doing a global replace to make them all invalid, manually fix one for yourself to be valid, then import

0 votes
Thomas Schlegel Community Champion Jun 06, 2017

Hi Jason,

from Jira-documentation:

If you are importing a username-based CSV field (e.g. Reporter or Assignee) and you do not select the Map field value checkbox for this field in the previous step of the CSV file import wizard, then the importer will automatically map imported usernames from the CSV file to (lowercase) JIRA usernames.
Regardless of whether or not you select the Map field value checkbox, JIRA will automatically create usernames based on the data in your CSV file if they have not already been defined in JIRA. 

(https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver071/importing-data-from-csv-802592885.html)

Since these users were created without email-address, there should be no email sent to them. But to be sure, you can disable the email-server before importing. 

You should also try your import before in an testing environment.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

2,888 views 12 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot