Are there puppet modules available anywhere for JIRA (or Confluence, Fisheye/Crucible or Crowd)?

John Cheng March 27, 2012

We use puppet to automate things and I'd like to get some modules going for the atlassian boxes we have at work. It sucks to do things manually for things like test servers (to test features, etc or testing upgrades and migrations).

I could start making them on my own, but if there's some out there already or if someone's willing to post them, that would be most awesome and I would be most grateful and appreciative.

3 answers

1 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
Lars Kellogg-Stedman March 29, 2012

Oddly enough, this is just what I've been working on recently. You'll find modules for crowd, crowdid, and confluence at code.seas.harvard.edu. The Crowd and CrowdID modules are largely untested this point (they work and produce a functioning install, but we're not using services deployed from the modules in production). We're actually using the Confluence module.

These all operate pretty much the same way:

• They assume CentOS 6/Tomcat 6
  • They use the EAR/WAR versions of the Atlassian packages.
  • They will all happily install into the same Tomcat instance if you want them to.
  • They download and unpack the tarball from Atlassian for you.

All the modules require that you set up the install directory and data directory elsewhere. For example, see this manifest.

John Cheng April 18, 2012

I notice you like to break down your modules into:

config.pp

init.pp

packages.pp

service.pp

... can you explain the reasoning behind that? I get it if there's a ton of logic you want to break down into separate little files, but if the module is short enough, isn't it a readibility win to have it all on one file?

Like Vishnu M likes this
Lars Kellogg-Stedman April 18, 2012

That's just our standard module layout. We've found that it helps to start out that way, rather than letting a single manifest grow until it becomes unwieldy. There are a few cases where we've just tossed everything into init.pp.

2 votes
Stefan Broda
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 1, 2012

Bryce has written a puppet module for JIRA. You can fork it on GitHub:

https://github.com/brycejohnson/puppet-jira

1 vote
William Crighton _CCC_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 3, 2015

After looking through the various tools (cucumber, chef, puppet, docket) I've decided that each has it's own place in the world and it really depends on what you are trying to do.

Without going into a level of detail that would reveal my limited knowledge, I'd say with confidence that docket is best suited for setting up short lived test environments used by multiple people (as opposed to just using the atlassian sdk) and chef/puppet are suited for managing an existing dev/stage/production installation (initial install, upgrades, etc).

I liked this page the best in reference to how docker is different

and this page/s from Atlassian DevOps talking about using Docker for test instances

-wc

William Crighton _CCC_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 3, 2015

thanks for the down votes guys w/o offering any explanation as to why you were downvoting me...really slapdash cool. as always, you input has been evaluated and we'd like to extend our appreciation to you for providing it. -wc

Suggest an answer