Are there automatic wokflows in Jira? Automatically mention someone?

joy ong June 9, 2015

for example is it possible that everytime a sub-task is completed a comment mentioning a name is automatically created?

2 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 9, 2015

There are some automation options available in workflows, but only for the more obvious things people would do.  

Commenting when an issue moves through a workflow is not something most people need - the user can be offered the option to make a comment, but an automatic one generally is of no use, so there's no function to do it off-the-shelf (if it's about emails, then that's what the notification scheme is for).

There are hooks for automation too, but I'm afraid Cloud is limited to the addons Atlassian can support, and although they add lots of functions, I don't think any of them would enable this.  If you were not on Cloud, I'd do it with the script runner addon.

0 votes
joy ong June 10, 2015

Thanks Nic.

Some background on what I'm trying to do here and why this is of value.

Before jira, project management was handled through a web-based tool called Podio where there are workflows automating comments and task creation.

In podio I had an app called Unit Testing wherein everytime Field A, B and C said Yes, a task was automatically created under me and I am automatically mentioned as FYI.

I am looking for something similar in JIRA cloud.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 10, 2015

Well, you'd need a "listener" in JIRA to do that, or you could move to the more workflow-oriented approach and have a post-function that creates more issues when a transition (change of status) occurs. But I'm afraid those options aren't really there on Cloud, you need dedicated code for it (as usual, I'd do it in the script-runner addon, but that's for Server only)

Suggest an answer