Are there any reporting tools available for engineering managers to review and approve group assignments for users?

Rob Brockman June 27, 2016

For security and SOC compliance we must have a process for managers to review and approve user access and group assignments for JIRA, Confluence and Crucible/Fisheye. Are such reports available? Thanks!

3 answers

0 votes
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 27, 2016

Wow, I never thought this feature is so important this days. I've recently developed an external product (but can be built-in to JIRA, other Atlassian applications and other ALM tools as well e.g. Jenkins, SVN, etc...) which exactly do stuff like this.

• Directly adding users are made by a "Request" and project admins will have to either "Approve/Deny" and state a business reason that will be saved for future reference
  • Periodic Access Reviews will be sent to the project admins to attest on either "Retain/Remove" access to accounts and state a business reason
  • The access review email notifications will either be sent to the Project admins of that project and/or go to LDAP and check who's the reporting chain of the affected account
  • Excel Reports export capability that can extract all the important details such as Project Name, Project Admin who made the action (review, approve, deny etc...), the account affected, date initiated, date completed, Business Reason for each action taken.

Not sure if there's an add-on like this out there yet, but I can make it an official one if it's really really needed smile

Rob Brockman June 28, 2016

Thanks so much Gabrielle!

0 votes
Rob Brockman June 27, 2016

Thanks Steven - the Audit Log could definitely help for tracking changes to user accounts and group assignments. As a starting point, I would like to have a report that would provide the following (in a better format than given from the application screen): Username, Full Name, Group Assignment1, Group Assignment2, Group Assignment3, etc. I would also like to have a field/column for "Manager" so that I could then post or email the report for manager review. Have you seen anything like this? Thanks again!

0 votes
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 27, 2016

You could use a JIRA change control process to handle requests and approvals. You can use the Audit Log to verify changes. Any of this sound close to what you need?

Suggest an answer