Are there any plans to enable Script Runner for Atlassian Cloud?

Ricardo Leon March 18, 2015

We'd like to use Script Runner for our hosted JIRA.

1 answer

2 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 18, 2015

You know, I want to have that conversation with @Jamie Echlin [Adaptavist] as well.  I suspect the answer is going to be a resounding "no", because the script runner effectively allows an admin to inject code, and that can be a disaster in the hands of an inexperienced admin.  As Cloud is hosted, the last thing a host wants to do is hand the users a tool that could destroy their installation and then be asked to fix it!

However, I know he's looking into modular permissions, so that you can write a script and use it without being an admin, so I could see a version in the future where the script runner could be enabled in Cloud, with a pre-selected list of scripts that Atlassian Cloud Admins can test, commit to supporting, and restrict you to.

But I don't know if that is the plan.

Ricardo Leon March 18, 2015

Actually, we just want the JQL features in this plugin. It'd be great if Jamie Echlin could separate the JQL part into its own plugin.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 18, 2015

Good question, I don't know if the JQL is entwined with the script runner in any way.

MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 18, 2015

Dave M just closed tha jac request for this feature

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 18, 2015

Yeah it's this one: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-41869. The JQL functions will be split out at some point, mostly for other reasons. But I don't think that will sway Atlassian, AFAIK there is a blanket ban on any new P2 plugins in Cloud. And a cloud version is not really feasible with the current state of P3.

Suggest an answer