Are there any plans to enable Script Runner for Atlassian Cloud?

We'd like to use Script Runner for our hosted JIRA.

1 answer

2 votes

You know, I want to have that conversation with @Jamie Echlin [Adaptavist] as well.  I suspect the answer is going to be a resounding "no", because the script runner effectively allows an admin to inject code, and that can be a disaster in the hands of an inexperienced admin.  As Cloud is hosted, the last thing a host wants to do is hand the users a tool that could destroy their installation and then be asked to fix it!

However, I know he's looking into modular permissions, so that you can write a script and use it without being an admin, so I could see a version in the future where the script runner could be enabled in Cloud, with a pre-selected list of scripts that Atlassian Cloud Admins can test, commit to supporting, and restrict you to.

But I don't know if that is the plan.

Actually, we just want the JQL features in this plugin. It'd be great if Jamie Echlin could separate the JQL part into its own plugin.

Good question, I don't know if the JQL is entwined with the script runner in any way.

Dave M just closed tha jac request for this feature

Yeah it's this one: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-41869. The JQL functions will be split out at some point, mostly for other reasons. But I don't think that will sway Atlassian, AFAIK there is a blanket ban on any new P2 plugins in Cloud. And a cloud version is not really feasible with the current state of P3.

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Thursday in Jira

5 ways you can make the most of Jira Software and Bitbucket Cloud

As part of the Bitbucket product team I'm always interested in better understanding what kind of impact the use of our tools have on the way you work. In a recent study we conducted of software devel...

80 views 0 5
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you