Are there any performance considerations to the number of components or people per jira project?

Mark Lang September 14, 2017

While I don't think it is a smart idea, I'm being asked as a JIRA Admin if there are any problems with 50+ components or 4000+ people on a single project?  Are there any guidelines out there or recommendations (and the reasoning) to provide back on not doing that? 

1 answer

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 15, 2017

While there is no direct negative impact on adding 50+ components, I would reconsider the requirement based on a number of things.

1. Are you taking advantage of the component features like having a "lead", using them in workflows etc for each one of them?

2. Components are sub-projects. Will there be a need in the future where you will need to create the "real" components? I ask this because I have come across many cases where people started using components for things that they could have used labels or select fields and ended up doing costly migrations because they came across a situation for the real component fields.

3. The above point leads to this  one. Can you use labels or select custom fields instead for this requirement?

If you want to go ahead with components after considering these points, and maybe more from others, you can do it but also consider  the confusion of users to pick one from 50+ components! If they already know which one to pick, then great. If not, good luck typing away to find a matching component from 50+ options :)

Suggest an answer