Are blocks enforced in any way?

Doug Varn
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 8, 2012

Is there any enforcement that prevents me from closing an issue that has an open blocker(s)?

It doesn't seem to prevent it now. It appears block denoting is purely informational and non-functional.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 8, 2012

Correct, because issue links can be called anything you want. "Blocked", "Chewed by", "Mr Flibble" - all perfectly valid links

You've probably already realised you need to edit the workflow to enforce such a block.

If you've got sub-tasks, there's a simple condition that says "do not let transition proceed if any sub tasks are in status x/y/z", so you can use that on them. Links blocking is another condition you can add and use, but I think it's in a plugin and I don't know if that plugin is installed in OnDemand...

Doug Varn
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 8, 2012

So are you saying that a linked issue (blocker, is blocked by) is treated as a sub-task of the other and I can add the condition to prevent closing an issue with open sub-tasks?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 8, 2012

No!

Links are one system. Sub-tasks are another.

Sub-tasks belong to a parent issue (and hence the same project as the parent). You can enforce a "do not allow parent to close while subtasks are open" rule using a standard condition (I'm not 100% sure of that actually - it might be in the Jira toolkit or Jira Suite utilities. I've always had the condition, but I've always had those two plugins installed too)

Links are an indicator of a logical relationship between two issues anywhere in the system. They don't do anything other than indicate that there's a relationship

AM July 12, 2018

So how is this done on Jira Cloud?  Is it not possible?

Suggest an answer