Are all the fixes in Jira Core 7.1.1 also present in Jira Software 7.1.1?

Rick Trudeau March 2, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: JIRA Software 7.1.x release notes

I'm trying to decipher the Release Notes from the new product bundling model... Core and Software.

We run JIRA Software (which I understand to be JIRA Core + Agile).  I'm looking at the JIRA Software release notes for 7.1.1, which list only a single fix.

On the other hand, the JIRA Core 7.1.1 release notes lists 20 fixes.

I'm assuming that JIRA Software actually contains not just the single fix, but also the 20 fixes from JIRA Core?  Can anyone confirm this?

If that's true, then my feedback to Atlassian is that it would be really nice to have a single Release Notes view of all the changes/fixes in a JIRA Software release, including those you get from Core.

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Wazza
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 2, 2016

Hi @Rick Trudeau,

The short answer to your question is yes, all fixes in a full JIRA Core 7.1.1 download are available in a full JIRA Software 7.1.1 download.

The longer answer is that the reason we don't include them in one set of release notes (at least not at the moment) is that you could conceivably install JIRA Software 7.1.0 (which includes JIRA Core 7.1.0) and then download just JIRA Software 7.1.1 and upgrade to that without upgrading JIRA Core. This would mean that while you have the JIRA Software 7.1.1 bug-fixes, you would not have the bug-fixes released with JIRA Core 7.1.1. It's possible to be in a state where you're allowed to upgrade one of the JIRA applications, but potentially not another due to the expiration of your licenses.

We realise this isn't ideal, and we are working on a way to try make this more clear, and any suggestions are welcome.

Hope that helps!

Warren 

Rick Trudeau March 3, 2016

Thanks @Warren Thompson, that is an interesting.

Only suggestion I can provide is to link this type of information to the JIRA Core/Software Release Notes so that people are aware of it.

Cheers.

Wazza
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 3, 2016

No worries @Rick Trudeau, and thanks for the feedback! 

Suggest an answer