Are ALL Jira Core 7.1 Features in Jira Software 7.1?

Neil Arrowsmith
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 17, 2016

The "Create a new linked issue" feature in JIRA Core 7.1 is not included in the release notes for JIRA Software 7.1. Is it there?

2 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 18, 2016

JIRA Software adds to Core, it's not a completely separate branch.  So, yes, if something goes into Core, it will be available in Software too.

Neil Arrowsmith
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 18, 2016

Thanks Nic. I had assumed that was the case. It's just that some new Core features  are included in the Software release not, but this one isn't. 

0 votes
Wazza
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 21, 2016

Hi @Neil Arrowsmith,

Create a new linked issue is not included in JIRA Software at present. The functionality is only available to issues in JIRA Core and JIRA Service Desk projects. Creating a new linked issue would attempt to copy the sprint details from the original issue, which could have a detrimental effect to current sprints. 

As JIRA Core matures, you may find some features are available in JIRA Core only, and not JIRA Software or Service Desk. We'll do our best to make these distinctions clearer moving forward.

Thanks,

Warren

Neil Arrowsmith
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 21, 2016

Thanks @Warren Thompson. So when the Atlassian Migration Hub included the line....

"You have access to all the features of JIRA Core through your JIRA Software or JIRA Service Desk license"

... you're now saying that was for 7.0 only? 

Neil Arrowsmith
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 11, 2016

Would really like an Atlassian follow-up on this. I'm particularly confused, because i've received the suggestion of buying a JIRA Core licence for users who don't want or need access to Agile features. I don't understand how this works if JIRA Software and JIRA Core are different installable products.

Wazza
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 13, 2016

Hi @Neil Arrowsmith,

Apologies, I didn't see your earlier post. The migration hub is correct, in that JIRA Core, JIRA Software and JIRA Service Desk are all separate applications, however if you're licensed for JIRA Software and/or JIRA Service Desk, you have full access to JIRA Core features in a JIRA Core Business project. So if you have a JIRA Software license, you have full access to a JIRA Core Business project, and you can use all the functionality of JIRA Core within that project, including create linked issue.

If you're licensed for JIRA Core only, you have a restricted view of JIRA Service Desk and JIRA Software projects, the restrictions are laid out on this page.

With regards to installation, all 3 applications run together in the same instance, and you grant access to the instance by assigning a user a license. If you have 10 users who require full Software access (agile boards, development tool information, and the release hub) and 10 users who only need to see the issues in a standard view in the Software projects, you can purchase a 10 user Software license and a 10 user Core license. All the users will be able to see all of the projects and all of the issues by default, however the Core licensed users will have a restricted view of the Software projects.

I hope this helps!

Warren

Neil Arrowsmith
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 13, 2016

So can I have the created linked issue functionality in a project that i've marked (in JIRA Software) as of type "Business"?

Wazza
Atlassian Team
March 16, 2016

@Neil Arrowsmith that's correct. If you've installed JIRA Software, you have access to Software and Business type projects. The Business type projects will have 'create linked issue' available. 

Neil Arrowsmith
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 17, 2016

Ah I see. Yes, i've checked and that's the case. Thanks @Warren Thompson - that makes a lot more sense now.

Wazza
Atlassian Team
March 17, 2016

No worries, glad to help. smile

Suggest an answer