Approval flow for external content

Dinesh Murli January 28, 2014

I would like to use my Jira/Confluence account as an approval workflow for external content. I have searched the forum and questions, but I can only seem to find solutions (such as Ad Hoc Workflows) where such an approval workflow is available for Confluence pages and not for other, 'external' content.

The workflow would ideally consist of the following elements:

1. I would set up accounts for the different approvers and tell the system in what order the approval should take place. A document would for example have to be checked by Marketing, Regulatory, Management in that specific order and if an approver would change someting on the content the flow would start again.
  2. The system then would automatically inform (and, if necessary, remind) approvers of their pending approval tasks
  3. The system would be able to report on the performance of the approvers (percentage on time etc.)
  4. This flow would be able to handle PDF, Text, Image, Video etc.

Could you advise on the best solution (add-ons, plugins) for such a workflow? Thanks in advance!

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 28, 2014

Hi Dinesh,

Personally I don't think you can do everything you mentioned in JIRA OnDemand.

You could use workflow conditions to indicate which users or groups could perform a transition (for example : from to be checked by Marketing to Checked By Marketing should only be availble for Marketing).

You could simply attach the files you want to follow through the workflow to an issue.

You could use notifications to send out emails to certain groups (but these are not really customizable in JIRA OnDemand).

You might be able to get the reports you need from JIRA, but it will not be easy.

My advise would be : Do this using in a Confluence instance you host and use the Ad Hoc Workflows plugin.

Best regards,

Peter

Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 28, 2014

Hi Dinesh,

I'm sorry but I don't think Jira OnDemand can do this.

If you would want to use the Ad Hoc Worflow for external content you could simply add the external content to the confluence page, you can even embed it to make easier to access.

But I don't think OnDemand will be able to do what you are asking.

Best regards,

Peter

Dinesh Murli January 28, 2014

Hi Peter,

Thank you so much for your response. I might not have been totally clear in my question. My apologies. Let me clearify: I do have a Confluence account. I also have researched the possibilities of the Ad Hoc Workflow add-on. I concluded however that this add-on is designed specifically for the approval process of Confluence pages, and not for external content. Furthermore, I use Atlassian On-demand and am therefore not able to use Ad Hoc. Would you know if there is another solution for this?

Thanks,

Dinesh

Suggest an answer