Apply parent field to subtask

K Kelly
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 23, 2012

Is it possible in OnDemand, that when I create a subtask, I can apply a value from the Parent to the subtask? To make reporting easier (e.g. find all issues and related tasks associated with dept XYZ), I want both the parent and subtask to have dept XYZ. Else, I think users will have a difficult time finding all of their subtasks for a particular dept.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
K Kelly
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 24, 2012

This can be done. I had overlooked a post function that I could use to set a value based on a parent's value.

The trick was that it had to be done on Create which can only be done in the Designer (I prefer working in the flattened view). For the Create step, I added two post functions - one for each field I wanted to set.

I then removed these fields from my Create and Edit screens because I did not want them to be changed.

In my case, these fields are required when creating the parent. So, I created a separate field configuration for the parent task type that had these as required fields and created another field creation for the subtask types that did not have these required. Created a field configuration scheme that had both of these configurations and applied to the project.

All works great now!

Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 24, 2012

Awesome! Never figured that out! There you have a vote for find it yourself and for giving a great tip! ;)

0 votes
Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 23, 2012

I'm not sure these could be done inside the Jira.

If you had the Standalone version you could use the Script Runner plugin to do that with a little script. But in the OnDemand it looks like that the fields to copy are already predefined.

What you could do is to assign that field to both parent and subtask issuetype screen and then when you create the subtask do a 'copy/paste' of that field manually.

K Kelly
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 23, 2012

I was hoping that I overlooked a capability..but, doesn't appear so.

I cannot copy/paste because both fields are single-select options. But, we needed for them to be the same value.

Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 23, 2012

Are you having the same field in both issuetypes create screen? In that case you can just select the same value in the sub-task...

Suggest an answer