Apply new workflow without affecting other JIRA boards

Kyle October 13, 2017

I went in and made a copy of a workflow that is shared across many workflow schemes in our Jira instance to create a new workflow. After copying the workflow I began making changes to the workflow and assigned it to a different scheme.

Those changes worked within my project and everything was running as expected. Over the past few days it seems like Jira has been populating out the new statuses that I created for my new ticket workflow to other unrelated projects. I have looked into finding the issue that I might have caused through a rogue linking somewhere but failed to find any.

Has anyone else had an issue similar to this and know how to fix it? It looks as though it is populating the new statuses that I added in the copied workflow to the older ones.

2 answers

1 vote
somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 13, 2017

Hi Kyle,

• What workflow statuses did you change?

I have seen issues when you try to change a default status where it will change throughout the instance no matter which workflow you do this on as it is tied to the status id in the database.  Here is an example:

1. Here is the workflow I copied from a default Workflow:
    • Screen Shot 2017-10-13 at 3.25.22 PM.png
  2. Here is the change from In Progress to WasinProgress:
    • Screen Shot 2017-10-13 at 3.25.57 PM.png
  3. Here is a completely different workflow where the status has changed:
    • Screen Shot 2017-10-13 at 3.26.33 PM.png

In order to create statuses for the Workflow exclusively you would need to create new Statuses for that workflow per Define New Status or Steps in JIRA Workflow.

Cheers,

Branden

Kyle October 15, 2017

That was the issue. Thanks!

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 13, 2017

It won't be doing that, it's a lot more simple.

Status are shared global objects.  There's a list of them under admin -> issues -> status, and I suspect what you've done is changed existing status, rather than create new ones for your new workflow.

You'll need to rename all the status back to what they were before, to fix the old workflows, then re-engineer the new workflows you've done, adding more status and replacing the  ones with the wrong names. 

Status name changes take effect instantly though, it's not "over the past few days"

Kyle October 15, 2017

You're right. That's exactly what I found after I posted this question. Thanks for the answer reaffirming my suspicion! I have changed the statuses back and learned from my mistake.

Thanks again!

Suggest an answer