Application Links - Consumer Key, Consumer Name, Public Key

Jeanne Howe
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 25, 2014

I am trying to set up application links between Confluence and JIRA. OAuth is asking for Consumer Key, Consumer Name, Public Key. How/Where do I get this information?

1 answer

0 votes
Tiago Comasseto
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 25, 2014

Hi JT, this information should be retrieved automatically when creating the appliction link. If you're being displayed to insert this information, it's very likelly that there is some communication problem between the applications.

The most common issues are caused by proxy configurations, in case your appliction is behind a proxy, you may attempt to create the application link bypassing the proxy to see if it's indeed causing problems.

I hope it helps.

Cheers

Jeanne Howe
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 26, 2014

Thanks for the info Tiago. We do not have a proxy set up. We are on AWS and both Confluence and JIRA are on the same subnet. All was working fine, and then we started getting SSL handshake errors. For us, the SSL handshake terminates at the load balancer, so we should not need any certificates. Still trying to figure out why my servers can not "see" each other.

Tiago Comasseto
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 26, 2014

One additional information you may find helpful, in order to create the application link one application needs to access the manifest of the other. This information can be retrived from the following URLs (modify to your application base URL):

If the manifest is not accessible, you won't be able to create the link.

Cheers

Jeanne Howe
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 26, 2014

I can get to the manifest via the browser. I can not get there via an applink from within JIRA

minnsey
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 26, 2014

Hi

Are you able, using curl, wget or something similar, retrieve the JIRA manifest from the Confluence server and vice versa?

Your earlier reply suggest SSL is being used on the URLs used to access the servers but that the SSL handshake is failing? Is there anythign about that in the JIRA or Confluence logs as that could prevent the manifest being read.

Jeanne Howe
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 26, 2014

Hi Michael,

Yes, I can get the manifiest via wget.

There are errors in the log in reagard to the SSL Handshake, but as I stated earlier, the SSL Handshake terminitaes at the ELB layer of our environment. Up until last week, our links were working. Now, in the logs, we are seeing errors in regard to missing certificates.

Application URL HTTP Connectivity: fail

Server date: Mon, 18 Aug 2014 20:06:43 GMT

Attempting to ping https://jira.mheducation.com

javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: sun.security.validator.ValidatorException: PKIX path validation failed: java.security.cert.CertPathValidatorException: timestamp check failed:sun.security.validator.ValidatorException: PKIX path validation failed: java.security.cert.CertPathValidatorException: timestamp check failed

minnsey
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 27, 2014

Hi JT,

To be honest it does sounds like a SSL config problem rather than applinks configuration directly. I think you will be best placed to raise a support ticket about it here: https://support.atlassian.com/customer/home.

Support should be well placed to help you and it provides more confidentiality than Atlassian Answers as I expect they will want to see the log files etc.

Sorry its not an answer as such.

Cheers

Mike

Mohammad Inamullah May 7, 2015

Hello Tiago, I came across this answer while I was searching for a similar problem. I am trying to connect my Confluence cloud account with our own app and need to setup OAuth. What do I need to do on my server to connect seamlessly so I dont have to manually enter consumer key/name and public key? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

boopathy kumar June 21, 2015

I would also require same help. I understand on click of "Create Link" a request been sent to consumer application to get consumer key. But there is no documentation around what is the request payload and what is the response JSON paylod , jira expects. If this is clearly stated , i would be able to build that service in my application.

Suggest an answer