App links not working after SSL

ITDesk January 31, 2018

I have managed to successfully setup some self signed certs to secure internal Atlassian apps I have.

I have imported the cert in to the JRE store on both Jira and Confluence web servers.

I have imported the certs in to the trusted root stores on both servers and my own machine.

When i try to add an application link from confluence to Jira. I get "No response was received from the URL you entered - it may not be valid. Please fix the URL below, if needed, and click Continue."

If i try to create the link from Jira to Confluence, it looks like it is all going to work, and then "It has not been possible to retrieve the required information from https://jiratest. Therefore the link cannot be created."

I have restarted servers.

Logs from the confluence server say:

Caused by: javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: sun.security.validator.ValidatorException: PKIX path building failed: sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target

Everything I am reading says I need to install the cert in to the JRE store, bit this is done.

Any help would be appreciated.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 31, 2018

It is definitely the certs. You need to install the JIRA certs into Confluence key store and vice versa.

Make sure you are installing it in the right keystore. There could be different JREs in your system and you might be picking up the wrong one. You can check the System information in JIRA or Confluence to find the JRE it is using.

ITDesk January 31, 2018

I created a wildcard cert with SANs for each of the different atlassian domain names. Do you think I need to import the same cert each time with different alias?

ITDesk January 31, 2018

Actually ignore my last message.

The confluence server was using a different JRE store to what I had thought it was. I found this from Admin > Systems Information section, under JAVA_HOME

I have now imported the cert in to this cacerts store, and the app link is now connected. Thanks for your help.

0 votes
Lou-Guardia October 13, 2020

One way to see if your cert is working correctly is to download the SSLPoke.class (follow link to download) then run the line below after $bash> for Java Path use the location of JAVA Home within your application which is in the System Information page.

Java Path                                                  class file            DNS

$bash>/opt/devops/atlassian/confluence/jre/bin/java SSLPoke    jira.xxxx.com 443

if it worked you will see this...

/opt/devops/atlassian/confluence/jre/bin/java           SSLPoke     jira.xxxx.com 443

Successfully connected

سید هادی قریشی March 7, 2023

+989196748370 call me 

Suggest an answer