Apache tomcat consume high cpu every time

ar January 2, 2018

we have v6.3.12 jira software installed on server , but most time it consume 99 % cpu usage please suggest the soltuion ,

1 answer

0 votes
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 2, 2018

Well, that's not normal. But you've given us zero details, so I'm not sure how to help. Is the system under heavy load, other than Jira? Where is the database? Are you seeing lots of errors in the logs? Do you have a lot of plugins?

ar January 2, 2018

Thanks for reply

system not under heavy load , database is on same server .no error logs and when i stopped jira service the cpu utilization is normal 7-10 % but when i start jira service apache tomcat consume more cpu and slow down

ar January 5, 2018

still wating for reply

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 5, 2018

Do you have a lot of add-ons?  Is the slowness permanent or intermittent?    Are there warnings or errors in the log?

Could you explain the load (or lack of it) - specifically are all of the CPU, Memory, Disk and Network rates ok?  I ask because I wasted half a day with someone telling me "it's not loaded" only to find they meant "the cpu is quiet", which is not the only factor.

Steven Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 5, 2018

@ar Nic and I are community contributors. We do not do this for work, we do this for fun. I'm sorry but I cannot guarantee an immediate response.

We are not able to proceed with the little information you've provided. If your system is not under heavy load, if there's no errors, then  we need more information?

Nic has asked better questions: However I will be honest, I don't believe you when you say "no error logs". Where are you lookingfor errors?

ar January 5, 2018

Thanks steven for reply

i checked the cpu utilization when i start jira services apache tomcat consume 90% cpu and please guide me where to check log if make any mistake

Steven Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 5, 2018

Please check the default log locations.

• /var/atlassian/application-data/jira/log/atlassian-jira.log
  • /opt/atlassian/jira/logs/catalina.out

If you are using Windows Server, these locations will be different. If you customized the installation paths, these locations will be different.

We're particularly interested in any items labeled WARN or ERROR. 

Can you show us the output from top or htop or another process viewer? You keep saying there's high CPU usage, how are you sure that Jira is causing it?

ar January 6, 2018

and calatalina logs as

Jan 05, 2018 2:31:06 PM org.apache.catalina.core.AprLifecycleListener init
INFO: The APR based Apache Tomcat Native library which allows optimal performance in production environments was not found on the java.library.path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Atlassian\JIRA\bin;C:\Windows\Sun\Java\bin;C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\ProgramData\Oracle\Java\javapath;C:\Program Files (x86)\Parallels\Plesk\Mail Servers\Mail Enable\BIN;C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Parallels\Plesk\ctl;C:\Program Files (x86)\Parallels\Plesk\Mail Servers\Mail Enable\BIN64;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Tools\Binn\;C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Tools\Binn\;C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\110\DTS\Binn\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Tools\Binn\ManagementStudio\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE\PrivateAssemblies\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\110\DTS\Binn\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Parallels\Plesk\Additional\PleskPHP55;;.
Jan 05, 2018 2:31:14 PM org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol init
INFO: Initializing ProtocolHandler ["http-bio-8888"]
Jan 05, 2018 2:31:14 PM org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina load
INFO: Initialization processed in 13510 ms
Jan 05, 2018 2:31:15 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService startInternal
INFO: Starting service Catalina
Jan 05, 2018 2:31:15 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine startInternal
INFO: Starting Servlet Engine: Apache Tomcat/7.0.55
Jan 05, 2018 2:35:27 PM org.apache.catalina.util.SessionIdGenerator createSecureRandom
INFO: Creation of SecureRandom instance for session ID generation using [SHA1PRNG] took [3,141] milliseconds.
Jan 05, 2018 2:35:31 PM org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol start
INFO: Starting ProtocolHandler ["http-bio-8888"]
Jan 05, 2018 2:35:31 PM org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina start
INFO: Server startup in 269594 ms

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 6, 2018

Does the CPU return to a more moderate usage after Jira has finished start up (i.e. you can log in)?

Could you answer all of Steven's questions?

ar January 6, 2018

yes after login come to moderate usage and when i acess any menu of jira then cpu is usage is high and then after some time moderate

Steven Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 6, 2018

What about the 'atlassian-jira.log' file? You only posted the catalina.out contents. 

Please show us the Process Explorer with the CPU stats visible. 

We still have basically no information from you.

nlpraveennl June 28, 2018

Even i am facing the same issue, system becomes completely irresponsive. It forces me to restart service "Atlassian Jira".

After restarting system becomes normal. I am not understanding this even after having 8GB of RAM and Intel's core-i5 3450 CPU.

If system becoming normal after service restart(atlassian Jira), isn't it looks like problem with Jira service? Why it is consuming suddenly 100% of CPU.

Which log file will have information about this.

access_log.2018-06-28
atlassian-jira-gc-2018-06-28_14-01-30.log.0.current
catalina.2018-06-28.log
commons-daemon.2018-06-28.log
host-manager.2018-06-28.log
jirasoftware110618110033-stderr.2018-06-28.log
jirasoftware110618110033-stdout.2018-06-28.log
localhost.2018-06-28.log
manager.2018-06-28.log

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 28, 2018

Open a new question, you shouldn't bump an old, unrelated topic.

Suggest an answer