Apache Tomcat JIRA stopping on its own

Fry Stargazer February 17, 2014

Hello,

I've just started to evaluate the downloadable JIRA for possible use by our small company. I set it up on a Windows Server 2008 R2 VM (Hyper-V) on port 8181 since port 8080 was being used for something else. Additionally, I set up Bamboo using the Bamboo Installation Guide for Windows. Everything seemed to be working fine for a few days. Yesterday the server was rebooted and now I'm unable to connect to JIRA at all - not even on the local host.

The only other thing I've done since is set Tomcat to run as a service by following the instructions on this page (substituting 'tomcat6' for 'tomcat7'): https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA044/Running+JIRA+Standalone+as+a+Service

When I go to Windows Services and try to start the 'Apache Tomcat JIRA' service (which, by the way, is set to start automatically - but is not running when I open up Services) it starts for a minute or so and then stops on its own.

I'd be very appreciative for a point in the right direction.

Thanks!

2 answers

0 votes
FelipeA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 18, 2014

Hi Fry,

Yes, just to make sure we're reading the last logs, you can make a backup of all files within this folder and empty it, then try starting JIRA again and check if new logs are generated and post the contents here.

Regards,

Felipe Alencastro

Fry Stargazer February 18, 2014

(catalina.2014-02-17.log)

Felipe - Here is the file you requested. Please let me know if there is any additional information I can provide you. Thanks again for your efforts on this.

Fry Stargazer February 24, 2014

Funny. . . I just got the following email:

The following questions of yours are still unresolved:

Please consider one of the following actions:

• Accept an answer (click the grey check mark)
  • Answer your own question, then accept your answer (find the 'Answer my own question' link underneath your question)
  • Edit your question for clarification
  • Add a comment for more information from an existing answer
  • Close the question, if it's invalid

Please be a good Answers citizen!

Where's the "Felipe didn't acknowledge my posting the log file he asked for" button?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 24, 2014

That's just startup - we need one from when it has stopped.

If that is genuinely a catalina log after it's stopped, then it's not Tomcat stopping, it's something in the OS killing it, hard.

FelipeA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 25, 2014

Hi Fry,

Please take a look at Nic's comment. Indeed if it's the last catalina log before the hang, something external to JIRA/Tomcat/JAVA is killing it.

Fry Stargazer February 26, 2014

Nic/Felipe,

Thank you for your comments. Before I had the chance to implement your advice, JIRA started working - seemingly without any rhyme or reason. I wish I could offer more information, but it was a fluke. If it happens again, I will be sure to post back.

Thanks again!

(I'd close the question, but I don't see how.)

0 votes
FelipeA
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 18, 2014

Hi Fry,

What do you got on your tomcat logs (catalina.out), the info there can point us to the cause of this issue.

Regards,

Felipe Alencastro

Fry Stargazer February 18, 2014

Hi Felipe,

Thank you for your help. I am very new to Tomcat/Java/etc., but I don't see a "catalina.out" file. There are files in C:\Program Files\Atlassian\JIRA\logs with a <date> extension (i.e., catalina.2014-02-18). Could these be the ones to which you are referring? If so, is it best/safe if I post the contents of the file here?

Thanks again for your guidance on this.

Suggest an answer