Anyone have any idea how to potentially configure release notes in Jira to group by Epic?

Aaron Rose October 16, 2018

Anyone have any idea how to potentially configure release notes in Jira to group by Epic?

Generally I group my releases in to 2018Q1, 2018Q2, 2018Q3 etc and at the end of the Quarterly cycle I release that version. Release notes are automatically generated however the "Configure" button only gives you the option to decide HTML or Text. It would be great if there was a way of seeing all the epics that were associated with tasks / stories that were closed during that release / version. Something like a "group by epic" rather than just grouping by type perhaps?

1 answer

1 vote
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 16, 2018

Hello @Aaron Rose

It seems there are only 2 options(HTML and Text) right now for  configure the release, you can use the generated HTML or Text and paste that in the Confluence page.

Then you can use a Jira macro to list all the Epics connected with the done stories/tasks in that version. And the Jira macro will list all the epic on the confluence page having the release information.

You can use the following JQL to fetch all the related epics (requires a paid plugin script runner)

issueFunction in epicsOf(" fixVersion = <your released version> and type in (story, task)") 
Aaron Rose October 16, 2018

Thanks Tarun, that's helpful and likely gets me close to what I want but does seem overly cumbersome.  Perhaps i'll just raise a feature request.

Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 17, 2018

Hello @Aaron Rose, yes feel free to share a request in the feature portal of Atlassian. If you are satisfied with my answer then please upvote/accept so that other users are helped as well. Thanks.

Suggest an answer