Anyone got Jira to run on a virtual server in less than 1gb of Ram ?

Paul Day October 27, 2012

Having just bought the starter JIRA and installed on a VM Centos server with 2gb of RAM, I am getting issues with it running out of memory and NumProcs hitting the limit. Only way to gain access to the server is to kill the jira process.

PS, the server has 2gb, approx 300mb used by system and I would like to also run a Play application so need Jira to run in under 1gb.

Configured Jira to use MySql which was already installed on the server.

Any Help much appreciated.

2 answers

1 vote
Harry Chan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 27, 2012

Hi, don't use MySQL and don't use Centos. These 2 tend to be relative memory eaters on low memory situation. MySQL + InnoDB uses quite a chunk. I would suggest going to Postgres if possible in this case.

It will be slower, but use 32bit as opposed to 64bit OS and Java to save memory.

If you don't have too many users/plugins you can also edit setenv.sh and reduce the default memory (768mb) and default permgen (256mb) to a slightly smaller amount and see if it still starts in using those settings for you.

0 votes
Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 27, 2012

If you have a hosted environment, its likely that the numproc limit was set to constrain usage (see this). If its your environment, you can change the limit, 1GB of ram should be fine for a smallish JIRA, what are your memory settings, and specificall _which_ memory heap are you exhausting, there are a few.

-- https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Increasing+JIRA+Memory

Suggest an answer