Any way to setup SLA in JIRA Software

Shivalingam Vanaraj JP June 1, 2016

Hi JIRA Friends,

I am looking at tracking the SLA in JIRA software, have any one set-up SLA or done any customised SLA tracking in JIRA software. Please share your expert advice.

Thanks & Regards

Shiva

8 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Robert Dzido
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 3, 2016

Hi,

There is SLA PowerBox add-on for JIRA (Core, Software and Service Desk). You can use it. It has more features than JIRA SD SLAs.

You can download it from the Marketplace (https://marketplace.atlassian.com/1215330)

Shivalingam Vanaraj JP June 4, 2016

Thank you for the suggestion... Workflow PowerBox  has the required features

Robert Dzido
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 4, 2016

I suggested SLA PowerBox - On Time Service Delivery, not Workflow PowerBox. They're different add-ons smile

Claudette Steynberg June 28, 2016

I am currently testing SLA PowerBox, but the Excel export does not work? I want to export the deadlines to Excel weekly to send to our clients. Any suggestions?

Robert Dzido
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 28, 2016

There is two custom field types in SLA PowerBox. One is SLA Metric which is used to calculate and display SLA Clock, the other one is SLA Date which have to be connected to one of existing SLA Metrics date and you can export deadline using it.

Add a field:

image2016-6-28 16:44:40.png

image2016-6-28 16:43:56.png

Configure it

image2016-6-28 16:43:19.png

Use it as a normal Datetime field:

image2016-6-28 16:48:28.png

Claudette Steynberg June 29, 2016

Thank you! This worked perfectly!

Apologies if this is not the right forum, please direct me to the right one if need be. I have made changes to the behaviours in SLA PowerBox. Some issues have already calculated their SLA's, how do you recalculate them to use the new behaviours?

Robert Dzido
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 29, 2016

It's ok to ask here, but normally questions to add-on vendors are asked thru their support system.

Simply answering your comment: new behaviours (actions) are taken into account when they are setup and there is no simple way to add SLA history with past date. All SLA states history is stored in the add-on database and SLA recalculation is based on previously executed and stored actions.

JIRA doesn't provide reliable audit history sufficient for advanced SLA recalculation (it's probably one of reasons why JIRA SD's SLA has no advanced features).

If you have any further questions or need deeper instructions please use the support system (http://coresoftlabs.atlassian.net)

Maril Vernon June 4, 2019

Does anyone have a copy of the screenshots Robert used in his comment? The links are inactive.

Thanks!

Add a field:

image2016-6-28 16:44:40.png

image2016-6-28 16:43:56.png

Configure it

image2016-6-28 16:43:19.png

Use it as a normal Datetime field:

image2016-6-28 16:48:28.png

Maril Vernon June 4, 2019

Never mind, I see he referenced the originals!

6 votes
Alparslan Tozan May 31, 2019

Hello everyone,

As I have seen this thread is still active, I would recommend you trying out our app Time to SLA.
Time to SLA is most used app regarding SLA, and it is the only approved Datacenter app so far.
You simply define your SLAs by status, date fields and comments and start tracking them within issues. You can also generate SLA data for already existing issues.
You can get recurring notifications by email, Jira events before/after SLA target date.
There are custom fields, SLA panel, reports and gadgets, SLA JQL functions, and much more.
Last but not least, TTS has also integrations with widely used apps such as Better Excel Exporter for Jira.

You can check it out here and you can contact us from here.

Best,
Alparslan

Ryan Yue June 4, 2019

Do we have Jira Cloud version of SLA tools?

Robert Dzido
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 10, 2019

Hi @Ryan Yue ,

Unfortunately all major tools for SLA Management in Jira Software/Core are only available for on prem instances. It's due to Cloud API limitations and small number of large instances in cloud. You can use JIRA SD SLA in Cloud.

By the way SLA PowerBox is Data Center approved now.

2 votes
Chris Dunne
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 2, 2016

Some of my customers have implemented a type of SLA reporting using plain JQL. Its not the SLA functionality you get in JIRA Service Desk but it serves a purpose and is enough for them.

Basically they have filters defined to show, for example, all high priority issues not updated in the last hour. They set up subscriptions to that filter and add the filter into dashboards so that people can view them.

It works for them. YMMV.

syam r July 3, 2018

Could you please provide some sample filters or this. Thank you.

1 vote
Heather Connally October 31, 2018

Can anyone suggest if there's a way to add SLA Tracking by project to JIRA Cloud? We do not have Server or Helpdesk, but have a need to track each status against its corresponding SLA. 

I cannot find any solution or add-on specific to Cloud =( Seems like a huge miss! Isn't this a very basic need? 

Thank you for any suggestions! 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 31, 2018

For Cloud, Atlassian expect you to get Jira Software.  Server has some more options, mostly listed above already.

Amy February 25, 2019

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- 

Hi! I'm still relatively to Jira and my Manager asked me to look into setting up SLAs on Jira Software Projects...we are based on cloud though. 

I just would like to clarify, so there are no built-in SLAs, we have to have a 3d party vendor? 

Sorry if my question is silly.

Best,

Amy

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 25, 2019

There are no SLAs in Jira Core or Software, but you don't need a 3rd party - the Service Desk application is Atlassian.

Like # people like this
Heather Connally March 6, 2019

Thank you @Nic Brough (Adaptavist) for the answer. It's disappointing. We will look in to JIRA Server for 2020. SLA Powerbox is exactly what we need! sigh. 

Julia Denys _SaaSJet_ July 24, 2019

Hi guys!

May I suggest SLA Time and Report - with this add-on you can track your SLAs for issues in Jira Cloud. If you have a need to add SLA Tracking of the issues and projects, you can set SLA timer and specify when it should be turned on/off.

If you want to have an up-close look at the data, you can generate and export SLA reports based on the filters.

Hope this information is helpful and you'll consider using this add-on.

Best regards,
Julia
SaaSJet

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 1, 2016

You really need to find or write code to provide a half-way decent SLA in JIRA Software.  I've done it a few times, but it took a lot of work, and needed things like the Script Runner to do the calculations for you.  If you're doing it for running a helpdesk, the best answer is almost always going to be "get Service Desk"

Shivalingam Vanaraj JP June 1, 2016

Thank you for you advice and suggestion, is it possible for you to share the code that you have implanted, that will help me to reuse and customise to my need

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 1, 2016

I'm afraid not - most of it belongs to old clients, and all of it is well out-of-date - once Service Desk arrived, there was no need for any of it any more, so I've not done it since JIRA 5.

0 votes
Heather Connally March 27, 2019

Hello I would like to revisit my question here, perhaps using the word "SLA" is a misnomer. 

We have a set of workflows in JIRA Software (Cloud). 

Each workflow has a series of steps A -> B -> C and so on...

Each step has an estimated time to complete (e.g. A = 48 hours, B = 72 hours). 

We simply want to track whether the step is completed in the time allotted or if a task is overdue. 

In JIRA Software Cloud - we cannot find any plug in or setting that will allow us to set an automated due date based upon time to complete. I am calling this SLA. But really, I would think that any repetitive workflow would have a time allocation tied to it. 

Does any one know if there's a way to accomplish this?

We don't need Help Desk for this, we aren't developing software products and we don't have help desk agents solving reported issues. We simply have a bunch of workflows with pre-defined steps and time allocations to each step that needs to be tracked.  

Any ideas out there? 
Thank you!

sandun April 11, 2019

Hi Heather,

Did you find any solution for this as I'm also experiencing same situation.

Br

Sandun.

Zoryana Bohutska _SaaSJet_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
July 18, 2019

Hi @Heather Connally

You can track your issues SLAs and get to know whether the tasks are getting resolved in the allotted time/without any overdue with SLA Time and Report.

If in the workflow Step=Status, then apparently you can set a few SLAs in this add-on that will be turned on when you enter the Status (Step) and turned off when you are moving to another status. In SLA Time and Report, you can set SLA timer value and statuses when countdown should be turned on/off according to your issues workflow, project, priorities, issue type and additional customer fields (like assignee, reporter, start date, labels etc.)

What's also important, you can select issues by project, report, filter, label, sprint or assignee and later export them as XLSX or CSV file.

Best regards,
Zoryana
SaaSJet

0 votes
Chris Dunne
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 3, 2016

JQL is the JIRA Query Language. If you are not familiar with it then I suggest you read up on it here.

You can create a query that would look something like this

priority = blocker and status in (New, Open) and update < -30m

will give you all New or Open issues with the blocker priority that have not been updated in the last 30 minutes. Here your SLA might be that you have to respond to high priority issues within 60 minutes, and move them to another status such as Investigating. The above filter would show issues in danger of breaching that SLA.

Then you can save this query as a filter and share this with your team / managers etc. You have two options to make this visible. To trigger 'alerts' you can set up subscriptions on the filter and configure how often the filter is run to check for changes. Again you should read up in documents how to do this but it is quite easy.

Secondly you can add the filter to a gadget on the dashboard - like the Two Dimensional Filter Gadget or similar.

Remedy Partners January 12, 2018

It's not the querying that's the difficult part. It's the calculating. Trying to get a calculated date field to automatically add a certain amount of time to the current date based on the SLA level set in a different field but I can't get it to work.

0 votes
Shivalingam Vanaraj JP June 2, 2016

That's interesting. can you please advice while you generate the required SLA report using JQL can we also trigger alerts using JQL at specific interval to the manager and reporter. What is required to build JQL what is language used?

Suggest an answer