Any way to edit original estimates directly on an issue?

Gavin Carter September 11, 2017

Hi,

My team follows a workflow where most tasks are written up by a manager and assigned to team members. The team members then go through their assigned issues and provide estimates. 

The default JIRA setup seems to hide away time tracking features unless you provide an estimate when creating the task. What I would like is a field for original estimate just like Component, Priority, etc that can be directly edited on an issue without having to go to the full edit screen.

So is there a way to uncover estimation / work logging on the main issue screen before work has been logged? And if not, is there a way to set up a custom field with an action to update the work logging fields when it's updated?

Thank you for any help!

Gavin

1 answer

0 votes
Tyler Brown
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 11, 2017

Hey Gavin,

You certainly can.  First you'll need to go to your Project Settings and see what Field Schemes you are using.  You can then go to the JIRA Administration section, under Issues you will be able to edit Screens.  There you can add the Original Estimate field to the relevant screen.  I would suggest having a different screen for create/view/editing issues, that way you can control where fields show up a little more tightly (if that's not already set up).

Hope this helps,

Tyler

Gavin Carter September 11, 2017

Thanks for the response. I don't see Original Estimate as an available field when attempting to add fields to a screen. I also looked at the field configuration and don't see it in that list either. I do see Log Work and Time Tracking and I've added both of those. However, they don't show up unless the original estimate is filled out.

Tyler Brown
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 11, 2017

Apologies, yes, the Original Estiamte field is included under the Time Tracking set of fields.  Also in my original response I mis-typed, it should have said Screen Scheme and not Field Scheme.  You should be able to create a custom screen scheme for when you Edit issues and the fields should show up regardless if they are filled out or not.

Like Tamara Fox likes this
Douglas Palme August 7, 2020

FYI this does not work on the free cloud version.

Suggest an answer