Any way to copy is all people @mentioned from an existing comment into a new comment?

David Kram November 7, 2017

I have a comment in JIRA with 10 people that were copied in via the poster adding them as "@mention".

Is there an easy way to copy/paste those same 10 names into a new comment without having to enter them each again using "@"?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Felipe Prusch
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 9, 2017

Hello David,

You can use a square bracket '[' with a '~' accent and a person's name to trigger the autocomplete function and link to a person's user profile or personal space. The application will send the person a notification just as if you had used @mention (unless the administrator has disabled the user mention feature).

So, if the user's username is "davidkram" for example, you would type: 

i.e.: [~davidkram]

With that, you can copy and paste anywhere and when published the application will automatically mention the user mentioned.

This is actually the "Text" string used when you mention someone with "@". When commenting, you have two tabs right below the text box: "Visual" and "Text". If you do several mentions there, if you change for the "Text" tab it will show you all the mentions on the square brackets format so that you can copy and paste more easily on another comments.

You can follow two ways:

1. Mention everybody you need with the "@", change to the "Text" tab and copy the text string there with all the brackets mentions

2. Find every user's username and then write your own square brackets mentions.

i.e.: [~bob] [~sarah] [~doug]

Hope it helps!

David Kram November 10, 2017

Thanks, that will work for me.

Akash Kumar February 18, 2021

This isn't working as of today.

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer