Any challenges with switching DB from MySQL to Oracle?

We are planning to start out with a Jira 6.1 instance using a local MySQL DB for a team of 100 Developers, with plans to switch to an Oracle DB (running on a separate DB server) in a few months. Anyone have any concerns or know of challenges with this plan we should consider?

Thanks in Advance!

3 answers

1 accepted

1 votes
Pedro Souza Atlassian Team Jan 29, 2014

Hi Dave,

It's hard to say that you will not face any challenges during the database migration.

But the process itself usually is pretty simple, JIRA has a XML Backup engine, which exports all your data, and also imports it, doing all the necessary adjusts to place your data in whichever database it's connected.

So basically, what you will need to do is:

1. Export your Mysql XML Backup.

2. Setup your Oracle clean database (follow this document: Connecting JIRA to Oracle.)

3. Connect JIRA to this new Database.

4. Import your XML Backup.

I hope it helps!

Best Regards.

Thanks for Confirming my understanding!

0 votes
Richie Gee Atlassian Team Feb 18, 2014

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Switching+Databases#SwitchingDatabases-differenttype

Just to share as well, there is a documentation on how to switch the database which Pedro has listed the steps. :)

A bug fixed in October gives some info around some issues you may run into with a large number or projects.

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-19317

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

2,923 views 12 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot