Antivirus scan for file attachment uploads in JIRA 6.4.3

Srilatha Pokala September 17, 2015

we would like to install antivirus software on JIRA 6.4.3 server for file uploads, but this dramatically decreased JIRA performance.

JIRA runs on linux server and attachments are stored at jira_data/data/attachments

we did excluded following from scan, but still same issue, Any help would be appreciated.

/jira/jira/logs

/jira/jira_data/log

/jira/jira_data/caches/

3 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 17, 2015

The usual problem is the scanner interfering with access to the application files as well as data.  Try excluding the whole installation directory not just the logs directory.

0 votes
Srilatha Pokala September 18, 2015

Thank you Nic and Sam.

I have excluded installation directory from scanning /jira/jira/, now i see much better performance than before.

0 votes
no_longer_in_sudoers_file
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 17, 2015

Back before I joined Atlassian, I had a similar requirement.  @Nic Brough [Adaptavist] is right (earlier answer).  His solution is the fastest to implement and probably the easiest.  However, if that doesn't do it for you, you could consider what I did at one company, putting the antivirus scanning functions on the web server sitting in front of the app server and scanning attachments as they were uploaded (in flight).  It has less impact on JIRA itself but it does slow down the upload/download.

Suggest an answer