Anonymous Submission by Logged in User

John Corwith September 12, 2019

Our security policy does not allow for shared or anonymous access to any of our computer systems but we have a need for users to be able to submit concerns truly anonymously.  (Or anonymously enough that it would take an admin digging through logs to associate a concern with a user using timestamps of monitoring software or something.)

Is there anything I can do OTS in Jira/Confluence or with a Confluence User Macro. We can't use the html macro as it isn't deployed because of security concerns. Buying plug-ins or even getting the sys admins to import free ones is a non starter.

1 answer

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 13, 2019

I don't know about confluence, but JIRA always fills in the reporter field. I looked at the documentation and it appears issues created by email will have a default reporter. That may be a solution if can implement that. 

John Corwith September 13, 2019

Yeah, I thought about trying the email thing. But then the concern has been reported by email and that is not at all anonymous on our network (and can't be sent from personal email.)

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 13, 2019

The basic problem is every system like JIRA tracks what user do and you want to circumvent that. The only thing I can think of is creating a web page to collect the data and then using the API create the issue with a fake user. You can create a fake user and not put them in a logon group so it won't count against your license.  

John Corwith September 16, 2019

The more I think about this, the more impossible I think it is to actually be able to submit anything anonymously and not be able to be tracked down. Web browsers keep history, Confluence keeps track of viewed recently, companies have monitoring software on employee's work stations. Offices have security cameras so you can't slip a note  under the boss's door. If employees really have to submit something anonymously, it probably isn't possible unless they go to the New York Times.

Suggest an answer