Anonymous Reporter

Joe Sun June 29, 2022

Hi,

I've created the project granting anonymous access for multiple factory/shops to access since it is impossible to grant account to every single personel. 

However, when mechanics are reporting issues, is there a way they put in their name in reporter's field?

Right now if they do so the issue cannot be published since they are not registered users, and all I can do is to hide/not required reporter field to be shown in issue creating page.

Is there any way for them to just enter any name as reporter?

Thanks

1 answer

0 votes
Mykenna Cepek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 29, 2022

No. The reporter field is a user-selection field. The only values allowed are licensed Jira users.

You can, however, add a custom field and use that. If it was a text field, then people could easily enter their name. However, they would also be free to make mistakes or to spell their name differently (e.g. Sam vs Samantha, add or skip the middle initial, etc). So you could only rely on that field to loosely suggest someone's name. People could also enter text that isn't a name.

You could instead add a single-select custom field, but then you'd have to maintain each person's name in Jira configuration. A Jira Admin would need to add and remove people when they joined or left the company, edit their names if their name changed, etc. This is a brittle, high-maintenance solution. It might also result in a very long list which is awkward or impossible to effectively use. But it would ensure each name is entered consistently.

With either of these custom field approaches, someone could enter someone else's name.

One strong value of the built-in reporter field is that you now the person authenticated to Jira, and that Jira user is the one who created the issue.

Joe Sun June 29, 2022

Hi, the second option of the having the drop down menu with single-select custom field is actually exactly what I am looking for.

My ultimate goal isn't seeking the reporter as individual, but instead each section of the shop. For instance anyone at testing team should report any issue they found with the reporter or custom field stating Testing.

The reason using anonymous report is due to majority of the operators refuses to use log-in system.

Would you please direct me to the right path on how to create the single-select custom field that is required when creating the new issue?

Much appreciated.

Suggest an answer