An internal server error occurred when requesting resource.

Mohin Uddin February 5, 2014

Hi Expert,

Currently I am facing an internal server error occurred when requesting resource in JIRA.

Could you please tell why occur this error?

Thanks

Mohin

4 answers

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 5, 2014

Not a clue. Could be all sorts of things.

What does your log file say?

Mohin Uddin February 5, 2014

Thanks both of you for response

Actually I am facing this issue where all Gadgets on the dashboards gave the error:An internal server error occurred when requesting resource.

Could you please tell how can I resolve this issue?

Thanks

Mohin

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 5, 2014

Again, there is not enough information to begin to help you. What you're doing here is like telling a car mechanic "my car does not go forwards" without bothering to check any of the warning lights, looking under the bonnet, or even checking for a horde of rampaging penguins blocking the wheels. He doesn't stand a chance of helping you move the car until you look for the problem.

The dashboard error is a little more information, but

1) You can get this error if your base url is incorrect

2) You can get this error if your server is firewalled off from itself

3) Read your log

Like ahmed.ghanmi.ext likes this
Sameera Shaakunthala [inactive]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 5, 2014

This can happen when your data or indexes are corrupt.

If possible, try a re-index. (It may take some time to complete and users will not be able to access JIRA during re-index)

John August 27, 2014

Just in case this helps someone, I was having the same issue with just certain gadgets on my dashboard, and looks like what Sameera said, probably the indexes were corrupt. Unfortunately I couldn't reindex during the day as it was only affecting a few of our users.

So as a sloppy workaround I combed through the filters and found out it was just one particular option for one custom field. If I didn't look for that specifc option (filter was: [customfield] IN (option1, option2, etc), everything was fine. I ended up "fixing" the problem by pulling up that custom field and simply changing that option in the admin page; specifically I just changed the order and moved it down under the next option. Later that night I reindexed when no one was using JIRA.

fbeck_br October 16, 2014

Hi Mohin, are your dashboard gadgets pointing to a FILTER where do you have "issueFunction in dateCompare..." I have the same problem you described, and going to the gadget filter and removing the "issuefunction" statement, my gadget does not have the error anymore!!!

ShabbirT August 16, 2016

Re-indexing worked for me too. Initially, it was giving an error of 'Internal server error' while trying to add any custom field but after indexing, it worked perfectly fine. Thanks

Sujatha M November 14, 2017

Re-indexing JIRA by locking the application did not solve the issue for us. Is there anything we are missing?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 14, 2017

Yes, all the debugging that most of the previous commenters did not do.

Please re-read my comment from February 4 years ago.

0 votes
petry
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 28, 2014

Check in your server.xml file if the context path is properly set. If you don't have a context path, it should be null (see here).

Cheers,

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 5, 2014

Yes, although a screenshot of an error message that is plain text is pointless, it can be useful to see if the UI is doing something unusual.

The most important point is that you need to look at the actual error message - "internal server error" is very generic and tells you nothing. Your logs are important.

0 votes
Sameera Shaakunthala [inactive]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 5, 2014

When this happens, the first thing you should do is saving the web page into a text file. Additionally, you can take a screenshot too.

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question