• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Am I able to assign multiple resources to a single issue?

I have some issues that multiple people work on at the same time, am I able to assign this one issue to multiple people? Would I have to create multiple instances of the same issue to assign it.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

You have multiple options

1- Create subtasks for each of people in the task

2- Create a multi-user picker custom field and use it for these cases

3- Break down the main issue into two separate and related issue and assign each one separately

The order of my list is my preference for these situations.

0 votes
Jack Community Leader Nov 02, 2020

No and you should not IMO. What you should consider is to have a parent task and create sub-tasks under this parent assigning them to the individuals. This will ensure ownership and accountability will be maintained.

Surely you are not advocating separate sub-tasks if you are utilizing pair programming with TDD? 

Would you make a "create unit test" & "code to unit test" sub-task for every story that uses TDD with pair programming?

Jack Community Leader Nov 02, 2020

Hi Doug,

No i'm not advocating any solution specifically for pair programming with TDD. I did not read that into Samantha's post. Admittedly, that underlying detail might apply here but it is just as likely that it does not.

What I was attempting to convey was:

1. this is my opinion
  2. the Jira solution focuses on single user ownership for clarity of ownership

It is worth mentioning that you can certainly get around 'assigning an issue to a team/group', but (again IMO) it is messy and error prone.

Regarding your last question, we are not using pair programming w/ TDD at my workplace thus any answer I give would lack experience so will abstain. However, you might find this Community article of interest - Managing-Assignee-when-you-do-Pair-Programming 

Pair-programming is the one time that multiple assignees for a task actually works in real life.  Probably becuase it is a short life-cycle with a high focus.

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you