Alternative for javascript - html button

GerdC February 5, 2014

In our current JIRA (v4.4.5) we are using javascript in the description of a textfield. The field contains a reference to a directory on our local file system. The javascript is used to display pushbuttons to

- create the project directory automatically on the local file system.
- browse to the directory --> opens an explorer window.

Since we consider an upgrade, I'm testing a more recent version, where javascript is no longer supported. The javascript code gives strange effects: when viewing an issue, the screen becomes blank and only the buttons are shown. (seems like the javascript code replaces the entire JIRA-issue-detail-page). When I delete the js-code, everything works fine.

Does anybody had the same problem? Or are there alternatives to provide these browse & create feature in a newer JIRA?

Thanks,
Gerd

1 answer

0 votes
Sameera Shaakunthala [inactive]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 5, 2014

We can't say anything without looking at the JS. Would you be able to show us the code?

Perhaps your virus scanner may be blocking the JS, as it performs its operations on the local filesystem. (security violation)

GerdC February 5, 2014

Hi,

I reduced the javascript, to provide a simple example:

<script>

function openFolder() {
   folder = document.getElementById('customfield_11601').value;

window.open(folder);
}

document.write('<input type="button" value="Browse" onClick="openFolder()">');

</script>

Regards,

Gerd

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 5, 2014

I suggest that you write these scripts using AJS/Jquery instead of plain JavaScript. Also, please check if it works after you inseart a slash (/) right before the last angle bracket here:

document.write('<input type="button" value="Browse" onClick="openFolder()"/>');

GerdC February 5, 2014

Hi, the extra slash at the end doesn't make a difference.

Do you know if it is still possible to add a html button to the description of a custom textfield in the newer JIRA? I'm afraid that - even with jquery it won't work...

Thank you!

Rising Star
Rising Star
February 5, 2014
That's strange. Because you are trying to create a button inside a div it should work. Did you check on different web browsers?
GerdC March 3, 2014

Hi, I wasn't able to work on this issue for a while...

I checked on Firefox, IE and Chrome... none of them shows the button correctly.

Suggest an answer