Alternate hierarchies in Portfolio 2.1.6 (Cloud)?

Kenny Kutney November 28, 2016

Perhaps I'm just not seeing a better way to do this.

In my project, I'd like to have some flexibility with Portfolio's hierarchies, in that, I'd like to have Initiatives, but with the ability for them to have both Epics and Stories as direct children.

Initiative
Epic
Story
Sub-task

OR

Initiative
Story
Sub-task 

Does not seem like that's possible, and the doc doesn't provide any added clarity on such a configuration. Perhaps I can simply use Epics and don't need the Initiative level? 

1 answer

0 votes
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 28, 2016

Hello @Kenny Kutney

I am using portfolio 2.1.5 (hosted) and it's possible to have Epic and Story at the same level and add another level on top of it. Why don't you upgrade your portfolio on Cloud and do the configuration in the "Admin" section of the portfolio and change the hierarchy as at any level you can add multiple issueTypes for that level.

Thanks, Tarun. Running Portfolio 2.1.6 (Cloud). If you (or another reader) can share a description (or image) of having multiple issueTypes on a level, I'd appreciate that!

I've tried setting the Epic level to Epics and Stories, but that flattens out the hierarchy (so I no longer see any stories "under" an Epic).

Hopefully, I'm not setting it up correctly...

Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 28, 2016

that's the whole point of hierarchy, if you have epic and story as direct children then stories can't be the children of the Epics that's the tradeoff

Understood. Not liking that tradeoff just yet... 

Suggest an answer