Allow bugs and single tasks full transition right. Restrict others

Michael Arndt
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 25, 2019

I want to allow bugs and single tasks the ability to transition from any status but force stories and epics to follow transition rules. How would I accomplish this?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Wade Tracy _Boise_ ID_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 25, 2019

You would do this by modifying your Workflow Scheme:

WorkflowScheme.png

You can see above that there are different workflows assigned to different issue types.  So you would create a workflow that is simplified for bugs and tasks and more complicated for stories and epics.  Then you would associate them in the Workflow Scheme and assign that workflow scheme to your project(s).

This documentation should get you started:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/issue-workflow-schemes-844500788.html

There are also plugins that offer some alternate ways to do this such as adding conditions to your transitions that only allow the transition for certain issue types.  But I've never been a huge fan of this approach mainly because it makes it hard to see at a glance how your workflow works.

Hope that helps!

Suggest an answer