Allow anyone to send to jira service desk

rich johnson November 30, 2016

We would like to move from Spiceworks Helpdesk to JIRA Service Desk, but require the need for users to send from any email address when they create a ticket.  I don't want to manually create customer accounts, and because the service desk portal is not available via the internet, they cannot click the link that is sent to their email address from outside the corporate network. Sometimes user's forget their password to their corporate email and cannot login to web mail.  In these cases, they send an email to our helpdesk from their personal email account.  I would like to make sure they can still do this.  It does not look like this ability is built into JSD.  So I am looking for a creative work around.  Currently, I am testing having a rule on our mail server that says, "if it comes from outside the company, auto forward it and send from internalemailaddress@company.com"  Then just adding internalmailaddress@company.com as a customer.  Any other ideas?

2 answers

1 vote
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 30, 2016

Rich, did you look at enabling "Anyone can email the service desk or raise a request in the portal" under project > Project Settings? Note that this creates a unique customer since it is based upon a different email. That is if fred.smith@urcompany.com sends in a request from fredsmith@gmail.com then two users will exist.

0 votes

I don't see that as an option:

snip_20161130105544.png

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 30, 2016

So you are on the server vs. cloud which I am on. A quick search of the documentation yielded the following - https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/enabling-public-signup-and-captcha-780861551.html. I would check there for solution.

cloud settings are as follows:

image2016-11-30 12:12:43.png

Right, this does not work.  The service desk UI is not available outside the corporate network/VPN, so users who cant remember their password would never be able to sign up for an account, and thus would not be able to create a ticket.  

Still looking for a clever work around...

Suggest an answer