Allow Service Desk Customers permissions in other projects

Jeff Tillett
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 23, 2016

We currently use JIRA Service Desk 3.0 for our Help Desk, and JIRA Core for many business functions. The business functions are set up with mail handlers to receive tickets via email since they do not have Service Desk. 

What we are finding, is that if an external customer emails our Help Desk first, Service Desk creates their account with no default groups. (Not a member of jira-users) I understand this is the default behavior and desired for most customers.

From this point, if the user emails one of our business support channels, their mail handler will check to see if an account exists. If not, it will create it (with jira-users group), and everything works fine. If they do already have an account however, (From previously contacting the Help Desk), then it will not create the user. The ticket then fails to create, b/c the user in question does not have permission to create issues in the business project. jira-users have create permissions, but this user is not in this group because he contacted the Help Desk first. 

I tried granting security type "Service Desk Customers - portal access" create permissions in the business project, but this had no effect.

Is there a way I can automatically add all of my Service Desk customers to the "jira-users" group, or some other way to grant Service Desk Customers to have create permissions in other projects?

We do have a grandfathered unlimited user license, so using a license is not a concern.

2 answers

1 vote
Jeff Tillett
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 23, 2016

Another option would be to have SD create my users in the Delegated Authority User Directory like the base JIRA create user option does.

0 votes
Tim H_
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 9, 2016

I'm experiencing the same problem and suspect a shared root cause with this known bug.

Jeff Tillett
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 9, 2016

Different scenario. Mine is working as expected for a default config, but I'm wanting to modify the config

Suggest an answer