Allow Jira User to only view what groups other users belong to

Gregg Leventhal December 16, 2013

I need to create a JIRA user/role for the sole purpose of checking to see what groups other JIRA users belong to.

2 answers

0 votes
Taiwo Akindele
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 17, 2013

Gregg, there is no way to grant this permission exclusively, you may probably have to grant this user JIRA System Administrator global permissions. To be able to see the group memberships of other users, you must have User Management permission in JIRA which is controlled only by the JIRA System Administrator Permission. Ofcourse, this would allow the user to be able to perform all other system administration task as well consequently (e.g. General/Advanced JIRA Configuration, imports/system restore, indexing, plugin management, Mail Server/Handler management etc.) which may not be desired in your use case.

Although you don't want to grant JIRA System Administrator Global permissions lightly, however, you may still be able to limit or completely restrict a system administrator's project permissions, such that he doesn't even have access to view any JIRA issues at all for instance.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 16, 2013

Um, so add a user who can look at user profiles. Not sure what the question is here.

Gregg Leventhal December 16, 2013

The question is what is the lowest level of permission I can grant a user so that they can perform one function, and that is to view what groups other members belong to. I am not very familiar with JIRA, and have not used it in a while. Can you tell me how to do this please?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 16, 2013

They probably just need "browse user" global permission.

Gregg Leventhal December 17, 2013

I granted browse user but when logged in as a user with only that permission I dont see any easy way to search what groups another user belongs to. What is the proper method?

Suggest an answer