Allow Customer Accounts to be created without password?

Daniel Blecher October 13, 2016

Im looking for a way to configure JIRA Service desk so that the klients won´t need to create an account (or at least wont need to select a password for the account somehow) when they submit a request. If the only option is that they will not be able to see their own requests that is still better then requiring a new account. But how can I configure it in that case? I can´t find a option for turning off accounts at all, only allowing users to create one or that the system requires pre-added accounts. 

We are keen on using the service desk solution, but as the site that we are supporting is already behind login, we don´t want our users to have to create yet another account in order to get support. A SSO-Solution might work, but will probably be to expensive to implement.  

2 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 15, 2016

If they don't have an identity of some sort (such as an account), then the service desk cannot possibly have any way to identify the users it needs to tell about updates to their issues.

You must have accounts.  In theory, you could replace accounts with other things, but if you look at the customer accounts in JSD in detail, you'd find that they are little more than an id, name, and email.  Or exactly what you need to ask them for in order to do the job properly anyway.

Your existing system is no different, it's got something like "accounts" in it too.  It has to, or it can't work.  It sounds like you've got a system that handles that, as you say "behind login", and my instinct is to simply say "set it up so that the same login is used for JSD".  But, Cloud doesn't support anything other than Atlassian accounts and google accounts, so I doubt you'll be able to do it. 

Server JSD on the other hand, supports a range of directories off-the-shelf, and is surprisingly easy to add others to with code, and there are loads of SSO solutions out there for it too.  Even I wrote a simple directory connector for it once, and I'm really not a coder.

Daniel Blecher October 16, 2016

The identification is the e-mailadress they are submitting the ticket from, they wont be using the online forms so there is no need to be able to sign in anywhere. (A list of there current tickets should be possible to solve via a magic link or something similar instead as well) As we need users both with and without accounts to our "system" to be able to send in tickets we cant use the system directory. And requiring the users to create another account just to be able to get support is not streamlined enough.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 17, 2016

Email is a totally different story, and you should have mentioned that to start with.

It still needs the account to be created, but see https://confluence.atlassian.com/servicedeskcloud/receiving-requests-by-email-747602718.html

Daniel Blecher October 17, 2016

Well it´s still the same problem - they still need to create an account. Looks like we will have to use zendesk or another product instead. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 17, 2016

If you'd read the doc, you'd see that email creates the accounts without requiring anything of the user.

Zendesk creates accounts from email as well, so that's not solving this non-problem.

0 votes
Colin Goudie October 17, 2016

Suggest an answer