Allow Access to One or More Projects

Janet Astwood July 27, 2017

I have reviewed the documentation and varios posts and cannot follow the steps to add/remove permissions and add QA group to one or more projects.  The steps are missing where to navigate in the setup and the terms to add or remove.  I have a new Jira instance with default software Scheme and 10 users.  

Steps:

User QA-user1 created

Group QA-users created

User QA-user1 added to group QA-users

Permission Scheme:

Created a new permission scheme QA-permission-scheme.

I have two permissions schemes defined by default; Default Permission Scheme and Default software scheme with projects in each of them plus the new permission scheme QA-permission-scheme. 

I added QA-permission-scheme to Project-1.  Project-1 now has two permission schemes, Default software Scheme and QA-permission-scheme

Test:

Use QA-user1 logs on and has access to all projects

The default system groups are fine for the current team members and are working so I do not want to remove these.   Remembering of course, I did not set this up, it was Jira default so what I think I need is how to move Jira defaults setup to our current team members roles on all projects then add a QA role/permissions to some projects.  

Can you provide clear instructions on how to do this?  

7 answers

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 28, 2017

Ok, I think you're looking in the right places, but the permissions are always complex to explain (there's a lot of flexibility in them, but that makes them not-obvious to administrate)

I find it helps to think of them in two layers.

First, you have "application access".  This says "people can log in and use the functions of this application".  So, you seem to have the default jira-software-users group, which is usually used to say "these people can log in and use JIRA Software functions". 

This group is often added to roles in new projects which then does unhelpful things because of the next layer.  This is almost certainly why "Use QA-user1 logs on and has access to all projects"

Second layer is the permission schemes, which I think you've actually understood fine.

So, what you probably need to do is go over the existing projects and remove the access for "jira software users" by removing the group from roles.  You will want to replace it with other groups or users to allow in the people who should still have access.

0 votes
Janet Astwood July 28, 2017

So far, your answer and video are not helpful.  I need an instruction based on the online version of Jira with no customizations and setps to add a new group with access to select projects.  

0 votes

So I am missing this in the video.  I cannot use the video because it has a step remove jira-users and this does not exist. 

0 votes

Note, I did not edit the default permission schemes in case I did it wrong.  I made a copy of the permission scheme, edited it and then applied to each project.  this makes backing out easier.  

0 votes

I watched the video and I did not do all those steps.  This is the same issue I have. I have an online out of the box Jira system and there is no user jira-users.  This video (point 1:08) creates the same issue as the online docs.  When I go to users, I have jira-software-users, I have jira-administrators, but nothing that is the same as your list. so at this point what is it I am doing.  No one has customized this system. 

So, out of the box, what roles are being assigned and for what purpose and this step needs to remove a role, but which one.   What is jira-users in the online system?

I will have to go back to what I did, but I created a group called QA-software-group and I did not allow login, but they can login but I don't know why.

This morning I found out that in the project with the permissions I defined issues can only be transferred to people in the QA-software-group and not any other users in the system, again I am not sure why. 

I can certainly go through 50+ permissions and try to figure out how to do this, but I can't do that because there is not enough information for me to do this properly.  

0 votes
Yugank Bhatnagar July 27, 2017

Hi Janet

If you have created QA group and added users to it thats is great.

I guess now as Project Admin you can go to the respective project's Project settings and under Actions-> Edit Permission. 

Under the Project permissions section, you can click Edit/Remove permissions to r and the QA groups to the type of permission you wish to provide or use Remove link to remove the respective role/group or user.

Also you may Grant more Permissions using the Grant Permission button

Thanks

If my answer works please accept the answer.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 28, 2017

Project administrators can not edit permissions, only add/remove users and groups in roles.

As a full administrator, you can change permission schemes, but you should always use *roles* in permission schemes and stay well away from using groups in them.  Certainly never put individual users in permissions.

Yugank Bhatnagar July 28, 2017

Hi Nic

Thanks for the correction. Sorry I was logged as Admin while replying to the query.

Thanks

0 votes
Gonchik Tsymzhitov July 27, 2017

Hello Janet, 

This video can be help?  

1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvdVNpgG34M&list=PLUmRtEALhUxr6VQdBLzGWjcr1s52_1joZ

2. Or This scheme https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver073/configuring-permissions-861253288.html

3. Some time please, check by Permission helper on the issue panel.

Thank you

Best regards,

Gonchik Tsymzhitov

Suggest an answer